Broken summer | Teen Ink

Broken summer

By katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other
katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love.

-Anais Nin

I would like to share this with all the other teens that have gone through a parent’s divorce and how I felt when I thought my life was falling apart.
Scattered pictures on the floor, I look and everyone is happy, just as I am.
Pictures tell everything, and it showed that everything was great, a wonderful life, until that one summer changed everything.
I had just finished my first year of junior high and just turned eleven. Everything was going great. It was the year 2005 and my summer was at a good start, until my parents were arguing. My parents had argued before, but not like this.
Nothing violent, but just roaring yells. My dad says “just tell me”. Tell me if there is another guy. I was so confused, what other guy? Then the big evil word comes out “DIVORCE”, and tears poor down my cheeks. I yell “NO!” and my mom and dad look at me. Mom tries to calm me down and say it’s okay baby, don’t worry your dad and I will work things out, so I believe her, I had to, because I didn’t want to believe that my parents would split up.
After a few days everything was back to normal. My mom tells me she wants to move to California, get a new job and start a brand new life, and she wants me, my brother, sister, and dad to come when she settles herself down in California. I was excited, a brand new life, living in California. So eventually my mom goes to California, calls me every weekend, telling me we will all be together soon, and I believed her.
So during the summer my dad gets a phone call and he looks at me and turns off the phone. I can tell by the look on his face that something was wrong, something I wasn’t going to want to hear. He says “I’m sorry Katie, but I’m going to have to file for divorce with your mom”. I was stunned, couldn’t move, just tears sliding down my cheeks, not the raging cries, but eyes full of sadness, like this is not real. And never in a million of years have I ever thought I would be one of those kids who get torn apart from their parent’s divorce.
I had so much hope that my family would be together, then to hear the reason why my dad is filing for divorce. It was because my mom went to California to meet some guy she met online during her online schooling. It just seems so unreal, unfair, and shocking that my mom would put us through all this pain. And the whole time she was telling me we would be together, it was all a lie.
After everything, the whole divorce, my mom calls me on some weekends, but never discusses what she did. I hated what my mom did and I was so angry with her, but I could never stop loving her. No matter what she did I never stopped loving her.
Scattered pictures on the floor, everyone’s apart, but they still look happy. My mom living her own life, my brother who's now 21, living on his own, my sister who just turned six, still trying to understand why my mom and dad don’t live together when her friend’s parents live together, my dad, well he’s happy because he has custody of us, and me I’m just recovering.
It’s now 2010, I’m sixteen years old, a junior in high school, and my life is not falling apart, because even though my parents are divorce, I still have them both, and I love them very much. I will always love them, even with all the mistakes they come with.

when it feels like your life is falling apart, always know to never give up, that happiness will soon catch up.

katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other

-Anais Nin

Thank you Aguarin for your support and your friendship. Love you so much!! Thank you.

Aguarin said...
Katie! This is one very moving story :) Continue on with your passion as a writer, photographer and artist because you truly have talent. I believe in you... and so Francine!

katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other

-Anais Nin

Thank you so much it's nice to know I have that effect on some people. I always take each day step by step and hopefully tomorrow will be even a better day. Never ever give up on life no matter how bad it gets and have a little faith in yourself. Thank you again, I means a lot.

Katie P.

Franny :] said...
You are truly an inspiration. I know you will go far in life. You are an amazing person and do not forget it. People like you make me have hope for the future. People like you make me not want to give up on life. People you make the world a better place. People like you brighten up my day even at its darkest hour! :]

miriam SILVER said...
miriam SILVER, Skokie, Illinois
my parents are divorced, im a junior also 16. you sound like you've been very strong about all this--good for you. maybe check out some of my stuff? keep writing!