Greatness | Teen Ink

Greatness

By 5sevcik BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5sevcik BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Being granted the name “Grant” was a gift given its uniqueness and not hearing it very often. While it seems to be a boring name, it has a French background derived from the word “Great.” When creating my name there was not much thought about it. It was just considered another name on my mom’s list. But now it means so much more. 

By taking the name, I will live up to its meaning and become great. I have never once had a second thought about having another name as I believe everyone should take their name from birth. At some point in a person's life, they will realize how their name suits them and how it helps them view themself.  Most names can help pass along family history or culture. 

The name Grant can have multiple different meanings when being used. It can be used as a name, verb, or noun. That is the weirdest part about my name. I hear my name very often but in a variety of meanings which is sometimes confusing. In a classroom zoning out, all the sudden I hear the phrase “Granted that,” which puts me right up in my seat thinking I've just heard someone call my name. 

Overtime I have begun to realize that while my name may be different and unique it gives off a good representation of my personality as a calm person who goes with the flow and is destined for greatness. “Grant is of English and Scottish origin and is a masculine given name. The name is derived from the Old French word “grand,” which means “large” or “great.” The name Grant is often given to boys who are expected to grow into strong and capable men. It is a name that embodies strength and masculinity and carries a sense of power and leadership.”(Lifebyname.com) I now realize that being given this name I must live up to it and become great.

All my life owning this name I had never felt that it would mean very much. But working on this piece gave me the realization of how important a name can be to a person.