My ex-best friend is a Terrible person | Teen Ink

My ex-best friend is a Terrible person

March 28, 2024
By Anonymous

Hi, My name is Kelly. I want to turn 18 soon and leave this high school already. I play games when I can or go out when I can. I still remember this girl I used to hang out with as a tween. People always assumed we were related or something. I didn’t care to be honest. By far those moments tho were like my dark history in life. I never want to see her again yet I still hear about her existence due to another friend I have. 

Middle school was when it happened. I was bored so I started to talk to people and made friends with this particular “girl”. She was not anything special or popular, but she did like to talk to everybody. I believe she wanted to be popular after seeing all the crap she would do every day. I heard from her previous school friends that once she moves on to a new school she leaves the old school friends behind and tries to become best friends with the new one. I was one of the new best friends she had. I was not tempted to break the relationship just yet, cause I was not sure whether or not it was true until I found out. 

I did not expect anything bad to occur but as time went on, I felt like I was being used, I had times when I had to do homework for her, and I was not obligated to go to the park every morning or go find her every morning but I still did cause I was that best friend she had. I went to her house from time to time and she went to my house from time to time. 

I did not even realize those times she had been at my place she took stuff away. I did not even notice I was furious at the end of 7th grade when I noticed things were missing. I did have to come up with some terrible story to get the items I lost back into my own hands. Not only did she take stuff from me, but she also took stuff from classmates too. Those filthy hands also have a dirty mouth. 

She could not stop telling people stories, that I have confirmed and seen as false, she lied to classmates and teachers that her brother died but I remember the dude was alive just somewhere else due to school. I just cannot believe the amount of lies this girl can be saying. I was miserable, disgusted, and manipulated. 

There was one story in particular that had been reused during the recent years which was involving those imaginary friends she had. She was talking about that ‘Oh I have a K-pop sister named Amy Lin and she is in a group of 7 or 6 members and the members are Luna, Boonie, Sabrina, Selena, Jessica..’ I don't remember who that other person was, however, all these names were made up. I remember her telling the teachers and classmates about this, she would not only use this story but also tie her story with a very popular and well-known K-pop group called ‘BTS’ at the time it was not as popular though. 

She was saying this ‘Oh my sister is best friends with Jungkook and she knows Jungkook very well and she says when she was born her sister and Jungkook would be looking at her’ and all that and I knew that was a lie too but she would not stop saying these lies. Also, she doesn’t realize what she is doing at all she doesn’t even hesitate when she lies making it super believable. 

She would have endless lies, and it only started to get suspicious when she talked about her grandpa dying and then shortly her boyfriend dying, even after that she continued to make up these lies making everyone feel bad but in the end, it was a hoax. 

Shortly after tho classmates noticed that she was lying as well and I warned them to not believe a word that came out of that mouth. I broke the relationship off before it was too late. I eventually came to realize that whatever occurred that year was just a phase. 

I moved and found a happier true best friend and we have known each other since then now she attends Stuyvesant and occasionally we would meet up, but I am happy that I got to know someone like her and not that girl. But yeah, that girl even at this age about 18 and I heard is still the same. 


The author's comments:

This piece is a coming-of-age story, where a reader would discover how my ex-best friend was terrible. However, this piece also contains some vulgar language so read at your own risk.