Basketball | Teen Ink

Basketball

It all started with a simple gift from my mother - a basketball.  Before that, I spent most of my free time watching TV or playing video games. My mother often advised me not to watch electronic screens all the time, as it would be harmful to my eyes and health.

Then I reluctantly left home and went to the basketball court in the park near my home. At first I tried to shoot, and it took me several attempts to make the basketball. When the ball went in, I thought to myself: "This is so  Easy! It’s not difficult.”Slowly, I was reminded of NBA star Stephen Curry, who almost always hit three-pointers. So I also ran to the three-point line to shoot three-pointers, but it didn't go well. I almost didn't have the strength to throw the ball that far.  Slowly after many attempts, I finally made it!  Although it took a lot of time, I was very happy. I imagined that I could be like Stephen Curry in the future.Every day after that, my mother would call me to go to the park basketball court to play basketball for a while. My shooting gradually became more accurate without even realizing it.

Until one day, I was practicing my shooting as usual. Someone came to me and asked me to join their game because they were missing one person. I agreed and I thought to myself: "I can finally show it, like  Shooting like Stephen Curry blew these guys away."I thought I could score easily and show off my accurate shooting. But it was completely different from what I imagined. Someone was guarding me, so my shooting became very difficult and my shooting percentage was not good. Because of me, I lost the game and I blamed myself very much.  , despite this, my teammates all came to comfort me and wait until next time to win the game together, so we became friends, and they also told me how to practice basketball skills. This game benefited me a lot, I  I immediately realized my shortcomings. Although I could shoot, my dribbling was not great.

Later, I spent less time playing video games and watching TV. In the past, my mother would ask me to play basketball, and I would go. But now, I will go to the basketball court to practice by myself, and I also like it.  After learning this sport, I am willing to spend more time practicing, watching videos and teachings about basketball, and trying to make myself better.

In the process, I gradually made a lot of friends. We had a lot of fun playing basketball together, competing with each other, and making progress together.

In a school party, the teacher asked everyone to bring food that is characteristic of their own country. I thought about it, maybe out of fun, and I thought of stinky tofu, which is a Chinese snack. It is a tofu because  It smells bad but tastes pretty good, hence the name.

When I brought this food out at the party, it didn't matter to the Chinese because it was so famous in China, but there were still some Chinese who didn't like the taste, and people from other countries were surprised.  and confused looks, and basically refusing to try it because it smells so bad.In this case, my cultural background clashed with American eating habits, and I felt a little embarrassed because I was used to a food like stinky tofu, and in this environment, it was seen as strange.

Later, I explained how it is made and its status in Chinese culture. Some people also started to try it and thought it tasted delicious. The more they ate, the more they wanted to eat it. This experience made me realize that through tolerance and communication, we can eliminate  Bridge barriers between cultures and enhance mutual understanding