Growth of Me | Teen Ink

Growth of Me

By Bboxian BRONZE, Flushing, New York
Bboxian BRONZE, Flushing, New York

From the top of my head, I can’t vividly recall the times I spent with my parents, as they were always busy working. My grandparents took care of me for most of my early childhood in China. Even after I came to the United States, although I was within my parents’ vicinity, I wasn’t directly in their care, since they arranged for a babysitter to look after me. I had a difficult time transitioning from China to the United States, learning English, and adjusting to life at my babysitter’s home. However, I'm grateful for how these experiences shaped me into an independent individual.

Similarly, my younger sister went through these challenges a few years later. I understood how she felt, so I took on a parental role. I spent so much time with her that she relied on me more than our parents. Whenever something happens, she would come to me first thing. When I was her age, I longed to share my experiences with someone, but I didn't have anyone.

A few years later, my parents saved enough to purchase a small apartment and brought my sister and I back to live together. Still, our time together was limited, as I had to go to school early in the morning, and by the time parents returned, we were already getting ready for bed. . No matter the hour, my mom would always visit our room. She wanted to see our faces and give us a goodnight kiss on the forehead. 

My parents’ busyness was simply a testament of their hard work and sacrifices. I knew my parents loved us deeply, so I learned to work around their absence. During the day, I’d prepare a quick lunch for my sister, before we tackled our homework together. I learned to be self-reliant and handled issues on my own, as well as my sister's. However, one day my sister came home from school in tears. I didn’t immediately pick up the cause, until I later learned from her friend that she had been bullied. I was shocked and asked her why she didn’t confide it to us. She explained that our parents, busy and not proficient in English, wouldn't be able to do much. She didn't want to burden them further. As a student, my abilities were limited, but I researched extensively on ways to handle school bullying.

That night, I stayed up until my parents returned, and told them about the bullying. They were both angry and upset, eager to help, but unsure of what to do. I helped my mom compose an email towards my sister’s school principal to inform them about the bullying. The principal responded, and within a few days, the bullies apologized to my sister. She was later transferred to a class where she found kinder peers and made new friends.

On that day, when the bullies apologized, my parents looked at me and smiled. 

"You've truly grown up," they said, "we're very proud of your independence and your ability to problem solve." 

The experience that make me to who I am right now