My Lucky Green Sweater | Teen Ink

My Lucky Green Sweater

By libraryghost PLATINUM, Lynnwood, Washington
libraryghost PLATINUM, Lynnwood, Washington

"No one really understands each other. We're all just stuck inside ourselves." Aza, Turtles All the Way Down

Literally, of course I can live without my lucky green sweater. But dang, figuratively? No way. I don't remember exactly when I inherited this sweater from my dad, but I never saw him wear it. Now that I think about it, I wonder why he offered it to me before getting rid of it. Anyway, it had to be at least eight or nine months ago. But me and my (newest) green sweater have been through some very tough times. I don't wanna admit it, but one of the worst days of my life was experienced wearing that sweater. For some reason, I do not attribute the negativity to my outerwear; in fact I find it to be a good luck charm. Besides, it makes it mine, now that it's in my history-good and bad. Who knows, that day could have been SO much worse if I wasn't wearing my favorite cardigan!

A little bio on it: Made of worn-soft 100% cashmere-which I just googled and is from goat hair, lovely to know-it's perfectly sized for me because it's an extra large, since it was my dads, but probably shrunk in the wash, and still a little baggy since I have a kinda small upper body frame. I really like that I can pull the sleeves over my hands and fidget with them. There are some holes on the sleeves, although I don't know when they formed. Like I said, I've worn this sweater a lot, and there are more than a few holes. I think my classmates from my old school might've classified my sweater as a trademark of mine, which I find romantic and weird at the same time. It has a striped lining around the edges, and the neckline is a comfortable v-neck. The brand is Uniqlo, so kudos to them for figuratively keeping me alive. And the color…It's so hard to explain. Super agreeable green, kind of a warm tone. Some might describe it differently, but I see it as a forest moss shade.

As some people have emotional support dogs, it's my emotional support sweater. If I had a bad day at school, I go home, put it on, and I feel a little bit better. It's kind of like an armor between me and the harsh world, keeping me safe. Also, it's perfectly warm. If its Winter, I can wear it to school and not get too cold. If it's raining in the summertime, it keeps me just the right temperature. I only let my favorite and most trusted people in my life wear it; my best friend, my mom, my grandmother. 

All this to say, thank you green cashmere sweater. I genuinely love you, and I'm not using that word lightly. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you, and although I probably won't win this contest, I want you to know I'm grateful and this is dedicated to you. 

Thanks sweater, xoxoxo