Having The Confidence To Make An Impact | Teen Ink

Having The Confidence To Make An Impact

By rachelmalka BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida
rachelmalka BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida

A personal character trait that I have worked on building and developing for a while, is my self confidence. In my life, many things have made me anxious or not feel worth what I am. I have learned, though, how important having good confidence in yourself can be, what it can do for you, and even for others. This idea is so important in that if you are confident, you can bring others up. Maybe in a way of positively influencing people to connect with their religion and values, or just affecting someone’s mood for the better, which you can’t do unless you yourself are happy. Once you are confident, you can more be yourself, find your own interests, and learn to be proud of who you are. 

In just the first grade, I started working on my self confidence. At the time, I was having trouble reading, because I didn’t feel confident enough in myself to do what I had to do. So, with help from my grandmother, I slowly worked on reading and writing, every day. After much practice, by the end of first, going into second grade, I had written a short children’s book, which I still think about today. I had then read it to my class, and boosted my self confidence even more.

Another example was when my school was having a talent show for middle school and elementary. I have always loved singing, but at first was too hesitant to perform in front of a big crowd. After encouragement from my family and a few close friends, I decided to go for it. I sang a song called "One In A Million," a song itself about being who you are, recognizing your self worth, and having that extra confidence. I acknowledged the fact that G-D decided to give certain people talents and special abilities, and we have to use them, because we were given these things in life for a reason, to impact those around us.

During the preparation for my bat mitzvah, I had written a fairly long speech with words of wisdom that I had planned to share with my family and friends on the day of my celebration. Although, on the day of, once it came time to give my speech, I was too nervous to get up and say it. However, once I realized how proud of myself I would be afterwards, and how good it would make me feel, I pulled myself together and gave it over beautifully. Without working to develop my confidence, I would not have been able to share those important words of Torah with others.

One biblical figure that has been a great role model to me is Moses. The first time he went and spoke to G-d by the fire, Moses had no confidence in himself, and didn’t believe G-d that he could be the one to lead the Jewish people, and really be who he was. There were a couple reasons why Moses didn’t think he could rise to this huge challenge, one of which being his lisp that he acquired in Pharaoh's palace as a little boy. But, all Moses needed was a sense of self confidence and help from G-d, and he became one of the greatest leaders in the Torah.

In conclusion, I believe that having self confidence is one of the most important things, and am still working on mine today. Because, when you gain confidence in yourself, not only can you help yourself, and lead yourself to the greatest things in life, but you can help others as well.

I originally wrote this piece for a high school application. I decided to share it in the hopes of inspiring others who may need a boost of confidence.