My Autobiography | Teen Ink

My Autobiography

By rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire
rynasung SILVER, Canaan, New Hampshire

In various ways, the role of a student is easy. We do not have overwhelming responsibilities and tasks, yet we students enjoy a free and jubilant life, excused by the term, ‘minor.’ Nevertheless, the society we currently live in is constantly changing, simultaneously impacting the expectations towards us as students. The world is becoming tougher and more strict on students, continuously injecting knowledge into us, which sometimes has been done to a point that our immature brains cannot comprehend. My life from a child to a young teenager hasn’t always been easy, or in a more detailed manner, content. Even though my parents could, they wouldn’t often buy me toys: things that I craved when I was a child. They’d rather spend their money on education and extracurricular studies. I learnt Thomae’s formula and thetas(θ) that come up in high school mathematics curricula at the age of merely 10. I learnt about the babylonian and the mesopotamia empire at the age of 9. My parents even intentionally gave birth to me in Texas so that my U.S. citizenship would help me in life. Some might be surprised, but the fact is that most of my friends were also in this strict and unnecessarily complex learning environment. I noticed how society was restlessly pushing our generation to this extremely competitive and somewhat merciless world. The reason why adults tend to maintain their kids' focus on strict academics, which they apparently claim to be the key in life, is because adults seem to sway towards the side of the futility of having diverse interests and diverse points of view. Yet, it seems to be the case that young students want to escape this bubble of close-minded and trapped logic that adults imbue upon their children. Considering all of this, it may seem like my life as a student would have been harsh, which is undoubtedly true. However, I believe that all of this hardship I went through since I was born is actually a learning experience; the quintessential framework of my academic challenge. In my humble opinion, I believe that I learnt so many philosophical things, early on in my life. During the young age, when I needed to hang around and enjoy life, I was learning the cold and bitterness of defeat in competitions. I learnt brotherhood and betrayal. When I hit my teenage years, I realized the significance of social relationships and how they affect my life. 

According to Cornell University, there are three S’s in life: Social, study, and sleep. If you choose to do 2 things from the options, it is inevitable for the other 1 to be unsuccessful. For example, I did study and sleep during my early stage of life. Thus, I couldn’t make enough friends. During my teenage years, I studied and also did some social activities. Consequently, I couldn’t sleep enough. This idea was sort of a key to a successful life for me. I tried my best to equally do these 3 S’s. Personally, I had a lot of assistance from my brother in life. In metaphorical terms, he was my personal CCT member. CCT(Combat Control Team) , which was my dream when I was young, is a special forces team that scouts the area for possible traps or harms before a military mission. My brother already went through hardship before I started my journey, to minimize my failure and guide me to success. He taught me how to behave and how to be close with friends. He taught me how to get good grades and how to be a leader. Without his early support, I would have suffered and failed more. 

I have a unique personality. One of my greatest strengths has been compassion, which I value the most in life. My family would walk past beggars in the streets, teaching me that without pain there is no gain. In the back, I would pull out crumpled pieces of won(₩) bills and secretly give them to the unfortunate. Some people might view this as unreasonable these days, but I still wanted to continue my personal sentiment. I also had to live life with my neck always upwards because my family was always taller than me, metaphorically illustrating my environment of having countless idols and role models. I learnt discipline from my father, integrity from my mother, and scholarship from my brother.