A Letter To Every Teen Who Feels Overwhelmed By Society. By: Maham Shaikh | Teen Ink

A Letter To Every Teen Who Feels Overwhelmed By Society. By: Maham Shaikh

By MahamShaikh BRONZE, London, Ontario
MahamShaikh BRONZE, London, Ontario

A Letter To Every Teen Who Feels Overwhelmed By Society

By: Maham Shaikh

To myself and every other teenager around the world, 

Here’s my advice to you: 

Leave it all behind.

Leave all the pain behind.

Leave all the fear behind.

Leave it all behind.

I know that it sounds scary, but one day you will receive the opportunity to grow and achieve

amazing things. Your fear may stop you, so leave it all behind. Leave the fear of not being

good enough because of your past experiences, and leave the self-doubt because of your peers

behind.

Some spaces will allow you to grow and learn more about yourself and induce a new version of yourself. The friends you will make will cherish you, and even though you may get into issues (or, as you will call it, “beef”), the pain from these conflicts is temporary. Listen to your parents when they say to “believe in yourself” … as cheesy as it may sound, as soon as you forget the baggage of your past, your present will come to fruition.

Although it may seem scary, you will forever thank yourself for leaving it all behind. Remember: Your life is yours to live, not for the expectations or goals of others, but rather for yourself to enjoy and shape into a thing of joy and happiness.

I know, I know, the fear and the expectations seem unforgettable and difficult to overcome, but I promise that leaving it all behind will ease your hardships. Instead of feeling stuck, swallowed, or sad, you will feel accepted and happy.

Leave behind the societal expectations of your body and your attitude, leave behind the fear of being less than, and instead become a person that you will want to look up to as you age. One day you will look back and remember that the life you lived was amazing. So talk to your friends, laugh with your mom, spend time with your brother (no seriously… spend time with your brother, he’s a lot cooler than you’d expect), and learn to get to know yourself (because you’re pretty cool too).

Leaving it all behind doesn’t mean forgetting your responsibilities. You should still achieve great things, like becoming a lawyer (your dream!!) or even the president (that would be amazing right?!) and helping the less fortunate like you always talked about. Just do not let every stressor have power over you. Not every assignment, test, or quiz matters as much as your health and happiness. While it is important to try, there will come a time when your fear of failing will leave you in pain instead of propelling you to success, so leave it all behind before it is too late.

You will do amazing things and discover new passions, like a love for helping others, and an interest in social structures and political theory. You will have to make time for these things, because this knowledge will prove to be an asset in your life instead of a burden, and taking time for yourself will make you more successful than you ever anticipated.

Leaving behind the people and things that cause you pain will hurt at first, and you will feel lonesome and tired all the time. But after spending time with those that love you, you will feel energized and complete.

I suggest that you start sooner rather than later, waiting too long has already caused you immense pain. Allowing yourself to be a pushover has left you feeling drained and anxious, but I promise, leaving it all behind will benefit you significantly.

So remember Maham (and all the teenagers reading this): learn to leave it all behind. It will prove to be purposeful and will help you achieve all the things you have been dreaming about for as long as you can remember.

Sincerely,

Your Older Self

Hi Everyone!

My name is Maham Shaikh and I am 17 years old. I enjoy learning and devoting my time and energy to the areas of technology, social justice, public speaking, law, governance, speech and debate, research, writing, and political involvement. I absolutely love writing, and I sincerely hope you all enjoy reading this as much as I loved writing it. As a fellow teen, I thought I'd share this piece of writing because I completely resonate with it. Since I'm actively attempting to incorporate this guidance into my daily life, I truly hope that other teenagers can relate with me and, perhaps, consider my advice.

Maham :)