Essay Contest: Pink Dress | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Pink Dress

September 30, 2022
By shea22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
shea22 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My heart starts to beat quicker as I look at the time. Another hour. The spring dance will start in an hour! When I was in sixth grade, I couldn't wait for the dance to begin. I had never attended a dance before. I see a cute little girl wearing her favorite pink dress as I look in the mirror at myself. The rose-colored shade complemented the blush that my best friend Ella offered me. There was silver lining from the dress's frills along the edges of my dress. Of course, I had matching silver heels. 

Admiring myself in the mirror, I hear Ella begin to cry. “I don’t look pretty.”

I'm looking at myself in the mirror when I hear Ella sobbing. I don't appear attractive. Even though I felt the most confident that evening, I always knew Ella was more desirable than me. I assured her that she was gorgeous. Her face or body wasn't the issue. She claimed that the reason she didn't feel pretty in the dress was the dress. I take another look at the clock. 30 minutes more. The dance will start in 30 minutes. 

I sympathized with Ella. She was not only my best friend, but I have had the same emotions before. I had to be there for her. As tears rolled down her tender cheeks and black mascara pierced down her face, I took off my dress and put it into her lap. Her doe teary eyes looked up at me in disbelief and soon after, her teeth began to show a smile. She wiped her tears and gave me the dress she was wearing. I look at the clock again. 10 minutes. 10 minutes until the dance. We both look in the mirror admiring ourselves and showing the confidence we have. I stand there, admiring our friendship and how much I do for her and vice versa. This friendship I know will always be in my heart due to the amount of love, support, and respect. 


The author's comments:

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.