My Days with Cradles to Crayons | Teen Ink

My Days with Cradles to Crayons

August 2, 2022
By Anonymous

    Being a student at Upward Bound has been a blast over this summer. During this program, we have been to community service programs around Boston,  Brighton, Newton, and other locations in Massachusetts. A community service group I’ve been involved with is called Cradles to Crayons,  located in Newton, MA. We started working with them a few weeks ago, and combined forces with another tutor group. Every Monday, when we have a lecture hall, we sit with our tutor groups in CAS room 522. To discuss some new announcements and what community service options we would pick as a tutor group.

    Cradles to Crayons is an organization that gives away clothes to children who need it the most. The first time we arrived,  as a group we were sorting out clothes that would go into the right section or size. We had bins that they organized for us that would have the sizes taped on the sides,and when we did sort out clothes, we sorted them by the categories of: shirts, dresses, and shorts or pants. Along with that, if we ever spotted an inappropriate shirt or anything that is not made for little kids to wear, we would put that clothing in a yellow bin. The yellow bin was called a resort bin. Those types of clothing would go there.  Another bin would be a red one. The red one was based on clothes that would have stains or rips in them.  The last bin was just a trash bin for whatever needed to go in it. 

    I picked this program because I felt like I, myself, would be interested in something to help out the workers who associate with Cradles to Crayons. I joined this program because I wanted to feel like I have done something good for a change; to make the children who don't have the opportunities to purchase a lot of clothes feel special or overfilled with joy. How I feel about volunteering to help out Cradles to Crayons is that I feel happy or great about it. It makes me think that I would do something like that in the future to help out others when they are in need of it. At the end of the day, I recommend other people to be invested into Crayons to Cradles or more programs that resemble it.