Goal | Teen Ink

Goal

“I plan to major in psychology in the future.”
“I want to apply for economics in the future.”
“I think I will plan to go to the social major.”
“Oh, how about you Helen? What major do you want to study in the future?”
“Ah, I haven't decided yet.”

This is the conversation between my friends and me in the cafe about our respective futures. I will always remember my nervousness and anxiousness when my friend asked me this question. My heartbeat at that time is as fast and violently as an accelerator.

Since I was a child, I haven't had any goals or clear life plans. My life is like carrying out the tasks assigned to me by others. Smaller tasks are similar to what food to eat and what clothes to buy. Larger tasks are similar to which school to enter and which courses to choose.

I have never felt anything wrong with my lifestyle. Although I am a puppet in the eyes of others, I know that I am used to this kind of life and don't want to make a change. However, as college applications are getting closer and closer, my friends start to communicate their thoughts about their future college more and more often. This circumstance makes me know my problems more and more clearly - I find that I don't seem to have any dreams.

When I realized my problems, I began to try to get rid of the strings that controlled me and be an independent thinker. I search for information from various majors one by one to see if I am interested in them or not, watch some predecessors' life experiences posted on online platforms, and carefully observe the details and food of life.

Finally, I found a set of contrasting images of the earth between centuries on the website, which shocked me and made me realize that I was interested in the major of environmental science.

With the continuous progress of science and technology, the quality of life of human beings has indeed greatly improved, but the improvement of living standards has been accompanied by the continuous deterioration of the environment, which makes me sorrowful. Therefore, I want to major in environmental science. I want to make up for habitat destruction and reduce the number of extinct animals. I want to change global warming and bring summer back to the temperature where it should be. I want to change the water pollution to give marine life a warm home. I hope the development of science and technology will continue to bring us high quality of life without damaging the environment. When I was little, I wanted to be a superhero to protect human beings. When I grow up, I hope to study environmental science to protect our homes.

It was a confused time for me. I didn't know where I was going in the future, but I didn't want to go with the flow. It wasn't until I learned about environmental science that I found out what I really wanted to do. Thus, I wrote down my state of mind.