To: You | Teen Ink

To: You

July 22, 2022
By Marian_de_Silva GOLD, Gampaha, Other
Marian_de_Silva GOLD, Gampaha, Other
19 articles 69 photos 123 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If this year has taught me anything, it's that grief can destroy a person.”

“Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it.”

"Don't assume the answer is no before you ask the question."


I have authored various articles on diverse topics. But I will be dedicating this to the people around me, including my classmates and colleagues, bullies, and everyone who knows me :)
 
Hey!  
I would appreciate… if you let me, 
be free.  
listen to anything that I please  
live without fear.  
prioritize myself.  
make my own decisions about my future and do whatever I am confident about.  
and  
observe the world by myself and choose preferences. 
 
You can keep throwing your so-called "mighty" (but dirty) hands at me. Oh, dear! do not expect me to be the same person I am now. Since you referred to me as a bi*ch and a sl*t... go in front of a mirror. Make eye contact with your reflection and repeat those phrases just like you yelled at me. Do not forget to tell me how cool it feels to get criticized.  
Vengeance is not my style, but things can change swiftly yet unexpectedly. 
I just treasure your support!  
 
Moreover, your bizarre  
insulations  
Judgements  
Comparisons  
might be easy for others to digest. Despite that, those are not for me. If I remained silent and murmured, it might be a chance as well as a dais for you to act a bit, because some people can be nightmares dressed as daydreams. 
 
I indeed hated being a girl. No one can change that now. I learned that if something bad and unfortunate happens, there will be no one to help me. That made me stronger, which made me glad by being who I am. Nevertheless, no one should remind me that I’m a girl or to do whatever a man says. However, you should know that this is not the male-dominated Victorian era. Your culture or the tradition of effortlessly obeying men is out of style. But giving respect to a gentleman like my father is my dominance. 
Respect, Freedom, and Love are for all. Men, women, animals. Just like Ban Ki-moon said, achieving gender equality requires the engagement of women and men, girls, and boys. It is the responsibility of everyone. 
 
Not to forget, please do not anticipate that you will get treated courteously while treating someone else with contempt just because you are a conceited person. 
Shouting at everyone or a person in front of a crowd does not solve anything unless it shows your insane lack of status. 
 
Your dull-witted thoughts on my,  
body shape  
talkativeness  
height  
skin colour  
dark circles  
the way I walk or run,  
the way I dress, do my hair,  
and my ideas  
bothers you?  
 
My girls, boys, ladies, and gentlemen,  
I'm not changing myself in the way you want me to. I enjoy being and living as a simple girl. I value and love myself fiercely. 
Therefore, it is certainly not my business if your time has been wasted or not, but engage yourself with something more productive than being a gossipy blockhead or a zany.  
Take care. 
x   

 
 


The author's comments:

It's easy to forget but...