Mom | Teen Ink

Mom

By sglantz24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
sglantz24 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

A caregiver, a safe place, and someone that I can always call my home; my mom. My mom is my best friend. She is the first person I go to for advice about school, friends, boys, shopping and literally everything. She always makes time for me and makes me feel validated and heard. She is the person that annoys me the most but that is because she wants the best for me. She always strives to make me the best version of myself. For example, when I have a disagreement with a friend my mom has me explain the entire story. She listens to my side and then has me reflect back how I could have handled things better or shows me how to look at the situation from a different perspective.  My mom always encourages me to be self reflective and have self awareness, which allows me to have the ability to improve myself and how I interact with my friends and family. I feel so lucky and blessed to have her by my side. 

My mom is also my number one cheerleader. During the lacrosse season she didn’t miss a game. For example, one game we had a major rain storm and the game was not canceled. I told my mom that she didn’t have to go to the game and she could stay home. I wasn’t expecting her to be there, but when I looked up at the stands she was there soaking wet with a smile on her face and cheering me on. 

Without her I am sure I would go insane, from forgetting my lunch in the morning to not having anyone to talk to late at night. My mother is one of the most selfless people I know, always putting my sister and I before herself. Some things my mom and I enjoy doing together are binge watching tv shows, singing in the car on the way to places, shopping, and cooking. Our favorite show to watch together is One Tree Hill. My mom and I are always having a good time together. 

As with any relationship, we have our ups and downs but we always manage to work through our issues and communicate with one another. The way we communicate with one another makes our relationship so special. We are both able to express our feelings without anyone becoming defensive. 

I also admire my mom's work ethic and ability to juggle everything. She is a single mom who runs a business, takes care of my sister and I, her family and our household. She manages to be at every pick up, schedule and attend every doctor appointment, run out to get me the latest food trends and she does it all without complaining. I aspire to have her drive, dedication and attitude when I get older.