Baking | Teen Ink

Baking

June 1, 2022
By gracelangfeldt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
gracelangfeldt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The first time I started to bake I felt excited to learn how to do all of these cool different things with cupcakes, cookies, and bars. The first time I made my first freshly baked cookie, I was a little afraid to make it because I saw someone on tv, and they baked this cookie, it looked really challenging to bake the cookie and decorate it. After I saw that I thought that I want to do something challenging like that. I wanted to try to bake a cookie and I was nervous because I wanted it to be perfect. 


Mixing dry ingredients like the dusty flour and baking soda, I used a whisk to mix a floury cloud. Then I cracked the eggs on the side of the bowl, it sounded like ice cracking in spring on a river. I got egg on my hands, it was really slimy and disgusting so I had to go and wash my hands and then some egg shells got into the mixture. I got the egg shells out with a spoon. I remember I was so frustrated because I got the egg shells into the batter and it took so long to get them out. So I started mixing it with an electric mixture, it sounded loud and noisy.


 As I was waiting for the batter to mix I thought this was going to take forever, but it only took like 3 minutes to mix. Next I added the sticky dough into the sugar. It felt nasty because the dough would get all over my hands and I didn’t like the feel of it so I would keep having to wash them. Then I rolled them in sugar and put them on a sheet pan with parchment paper, the cookies looked really tasty. I just waited and waited and waited for them to be baked and I remember it felt like I was waiting for so long, and when they got out they smelled so good and looked like amazing cookies and I wanted to eat one so badly, but they had to cool for about 30 minutes and I had to decorate them.


 I felt like it took forever for the cookies to cool and be ready to frost. I frosted them with a white bag and a piping tip. The smooth creamy white frosting, so sugary and sweet poured out. Then moving on to the brighter color explosions of red, blue, green and yellow. I remember feeling really excited to frost all of the cookies on the pan. I felt like I did a good job with the colors too. 


So I made a perfect batch of cookies that day, my very first. There was this one cookie that I noticed was perfectly frosted, that I decorated. That’s when I realized I was good at decorating and baking cookies. As my mom says “ Grace, you bake wonderful tasty things”. At that moment I thought to myself I want to learn how to bake different things and be good at decorating. So I started to bake more and more things and I got really good at baking cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and bars, and I shared them with my family and friends, and they all thought I had a gift to bake and share what I made with other people. 


The author's comments:

This is a peice about me learning how to bake the first time, i think that baking can be a way to cheer people up and make them happier if you bake something and share that happieness with them.