As the Leaves Change | Teen Ink

As the Leaves Change

By mtaylor2025 GOLD, Mexico, Missouri
mtaylor2025 GOLD, Mexico, Missouri

Heartbreak is one of the worst feelings a person can have. A shattered heart from a pain that has occurred. Rather it is from someone else's actions or your own. It still hurts. But what hurts the most is accepting the fact that it happened for a reason. 

Heartbreak can be caused easily, but not as easily fixed. Words just as easily can hurt like actions, and breaking it off can hurt just as much as letting it go on. It would start off prominent. You would be stuck on a high. As time goes on, things change. People change. Feelings change. Like as the leaves change in autumn, one's outlook on life changes. The leaves change, becoming old and dry. They fall to the ground and are left as things, ugly and useless things for people to step on. Like a broken heart is left in pieces, torn out, and thrown to the ground. Possibly not on purpose, or with the intention of hurting. Many things can cause a broken heart. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

The leaves soon fall. All on the ground, crushed, in tiny, broken pieces. The weather changes, and it becomes cold and dry. The cold air dries out the leaves and everything that once was bright and bloomed dies. The days got shorter, and the joy that once was there, was gone. Gray skies, gray branches, gray bushes. As the winter goes on, it gets colder and colder. The first snowfall. Covering up the boorish world. A new layer has arrived, making the world bright again. Even as bright as the world around is, the atmosphere is cold. Bringing a new feeling of life. The wind blows on the crest and suppresses the feeling of winter. The trees are bare. The ground, covered with snow. 

Thankfully, that isn't how it will always be. Around the corner is something special, a new beginning. Spring. The temperature rises, the snow melts away. At first, the sight wasn't pleasing. Muddy and gross. The snow is now gone but left behind its heartache. It goes on like this for a while, and as the weather does get warmer, the earth is changing. The grass isn't as brown, and there is more color to life. But no excitement. Everything is still dead, no emotion, no care, no hope. Rain comes and changes that. Gloomy days for days on end. Thinking it might never end, but it does. All the days of sorrow are over. Looking at the trees, they have buds. The grass is growing, and there are flowers coming out of the ground. The time of grief is over. It's time for butterflies and bees to come out. A new bloom of the world. A new layer of life. The leaves on the trees are neither brown, yellow nor red. Not as pretty as in the fall, but brings a new breath of air into life. A sensation of prosperity blows through the air. 

Like the leaves change with the seasons, a broken heart won't last forever. It goes through stages, and during those stages, it will hurt. You might wonder why it feels like this, or why you can't seem to pull yourself out of this dark place. It will seem like it is going on forever, but just remember, spring is around the corner. Ready to mend together this broken heart, and create something beautiful. For flowers grow in dirt. You're like the seed. Something stuck in its shell and put through the toughest conditions. But in the end, something beautiful comes out of it. A flower. A flower that has waited for spring to come, to bloom into something worth the wait.