My Music Journey | Teen Ink

My Music Journey

My love for music may have really started within the last couple of years, but the seed was planted years before.  As a 9-year-old boy, I would find myself obsessing over a couple of bands.  Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, and Foster The People.  Those were my bands.  And whenever I listened to music, it was one of those bands.

From this point, my enjoyment of music had only expanded.  I would slowly add bands to my rotation, but the real turning point was in late 2018, when Twenty One Pilots, my middle school obsession, released their album Trench.  This album blew my mind.  It wasn’t nearly as interesting as I gave it credit for at the time, but I hadn’t heard anything like the album at that point.  

After the dust had settled in my mind after Trench, I realized that I hadn’t even scratched the surface of what an album could be, and my curiosity was piqued.  I started to sink my teeth into albums that I wanted to get more familiar with, and by the summer of 2019, I was starting to explore music at what seemed like an exponentially increasing rate.  

Over the course of this summer, my taste had expanded to cover almost all genres in some form.  I had gone from listening to exclusively alternative rock music to covering folk, hip-hop, electronic, and pop, and this variety is what has kept me so hooked on music for the last couple of years.  

My enjoyment of music is what led me to pick up guitar, and I’m happy with the progress I’ve made in the last year or so.  Playing guitar has become one of my favorite hobbies, and I’m extremely excited to continue my progress moving forward.