Fork in the road | Teen Ink

Fork in the road

By mrose62 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
mrose62 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Two roads lay before me. One left, the other right. The path I lean towards, and the path I should take. Determining which path to choose is quite difficult for me. The two dirt infested paths glare at me, antagonizing me. My stomach sinks. Fear sets in. I let others decide what is best for me, rather than letting myself pick. This is not to blame others, but because I want to do what makes other people happy. Who is to decide for me? I am all alone. That dread hangs above me—worried one wrong breath may upset those around me. Although it is simpler to allow those around me to make choices for me, it can be overwhelming. How can I learn if I cannot even choose between the simplest things in life? Wondering if it’ll upset me or other people around me, I feel trapped. I sometimes feel as if I am a fish in a glass bowl. The glass glistens as the sun rays beam through the window. Life moves around me; yet, I feel as hopeless as a goldfish stuck in a fishbowl while life continues around me. I feel the ground and dirt beneath me crunch as I pivot my feet as I think. This life given to me has been wonderful; yet, now I have to make the decisions for myself. To disappoint the people that surround me is my fear; yet, it is inevitable. If they truly are the closest people around me, then they should be supportive of me in those uncertain decisions. The trees sway on the windy afternoon, distracting me from my thoughts. The cool wind brushes against my rosy cheeks to wake me from my daze. I think to myself once again. Why am I drawn to this right path? What happens if I take it? What does this path hold that the other doesn’t? I take a deep breath. Quickly, I remind myself I choose this for me. With the things I have learned, I must push myself. My father taught me that it is impossible to avoid mistakes in life, and that it is important to learn from those mistakes—that is what builds character and allows for growth within an individual. Without another thought, I lift my heavy feet filled with anxiety, and make my way towards the right path. Uncertain of what may happen, I hope to make mistakes and learn from them.