Flight notes | Teen Ink

Flight notes

By MicWang GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
MicWang GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

It is my fourth year studying abroad. After hugging and saying goodbye to my parents at the Beijing airport, I stepped on the plane to Newark, New Jersey. I don't know when I started to get a little airsick and stopped eating and drinking on the plane, but because the flight was 14 hours long, I had to try to sleep to make time fly more swiftly. 

I walked between my mom and dad holding their hands, with my grandma and grandpa behind me. It was the first time I boarded a plane and I got to sit on my parents' laps. I ate two meals and a lot of snacks during the 12-hour flight. I had a great time on the plane and one of my family members had to stay awake to take care of me or I would have been running around on the plane. 

The two years in Vancouver were happy but short. My mom used to " laugh" at me because my English was not so good then. Every day my grandma and grandpa took me to kindergarten, and after school, I played with my classmates on the monkey bar. I would occasionally fall off the monkey bar, but who cares? 

We also go to other places in my parents' spare time. Sometimes my mom takes me to Ottawa and Toronto to see her relatives and colleagues, and they have tea and talk about work while I play with their kids. My parents even drove me to Alaska once. I wrapped myself up like a chubby ball. I used to fall on the snow, and at first I would cry, but when I fall again, I get up with a smile. My feet were always the coldest, and I had to warm my bones by the fireplace for a long time after playing in the snow. 

I was  taken to a big library in Vancouver by my mom and dad. I didn't realize I should be quiet then, and I used to run around the library. They sometimes covered my mouth to make me stop making noise or bring out my favorite food or toy to change my focus. As far as I can remember, no matter how naughty I was, my parents never physically harmed me. They were always kind to me, but I may not have been an obedient child. One time I accidentally slipped over in the library and hit my head right on the prong on the floor, bleeding profusely. If it weren't for my dad my mom would have been freaking out, my dad calmly helped me contact emergency services and in no time I was carried to the ambulance. My head was left with a small scar. My mom and dad stayed with me in the hospital for several days, and my grandma and grandpa came back from Toronto and criticized my mom and dad. 

Speaking about my grandparents, at that time, I could still find a lot of common topics to discuss with my grandma and grandpa. I often asked them some questions about life sciences. Fortunately, my grandfather was a physics teacher and my grandmother was a biology teacher, and they always brought me extra pleasure while satisfying my curiosity. My grandpa took me to do a density tower experiment in a  balloon car, and my grandma took me to grow some small plants. 

I often walk with my grandma and grandpa after school. I always had different things to do in different seasons: in spring I would pull the leaves from the trees along the road, in summer I would take a water pistol to the creek, in autumn I always liked to step on the dead leaves on the road and listen to the cracking sound, and in winter I could spend the day in the snow. My grandma and grandpa were always there for me, and I always brought joy to them.

My parents' job was done, and naturally, I followed them back to China. Unfortunately, the plane ride back home was particularly turbulent and I threw up a lot after eating, and my family was busy helping me clean up.

Compared to my life in China, I miss my life back then.

I opened my eyes in a daze.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the fasten seat belt sign. We are now crossing a zone of turbulence. Please return your seats and keep your seat belts fastened. Thank you.”

I looked at the watch and the plane would be arriving at the terminal in two hours. I can't believe I slept for so long. I can't believe how fast time has passed.

I want to thank my family for a wonderful childhood. At the same time, I also hope I can live my life to the fullest. At some point in the future, I may look back on the person I am now, and I hope that by then I will also be able to exclaim: It used to be so good, and time went by so fast.