Happiness | Teen Ink

Happiness

By leah_andersonkat BRONZE, Washburn, Wisconsin
leah_andersonkat BRONZE, Washburn, Wisconsin

Do your best and work hard. That's how you will achieve your biggest dreams.

I sat slouched at my computer in my satin sheets at approximately 10:34 pm when my mind was drifting off to another place with my eyes so droopy I could barely keep them open while I was trying so desperately to construct and answer a question...what does happiness mean to you? Happiness is...is.and I went blank and my sight went out.

I noticed this slight glimpse of shimmering light that was peeking through a crack in my curtains and I realized that it is already 8 in the morning. I sat up and wiggled my mouse until the computer lit up once again to see if I could possibly find an answer. Hours later still none. Maybe I shouldn't be looking for one and it would just come to me.

Days Later...

When hastily deep cleaning my pigsty of a room, I came across a polaroid picture of me and my two friends from elementary school and remembering how that was one of the best eras of my life. No responsibilities, money and time are irrelevant while you can be as careless and free as you want to be. Then it struck me. Happiness isn't something you can define but you have to say it using how it feels to you. Happiness to me is like the waft of freshly cut grass while the sun is beaming down with a quite comfortable temperature at about 70 degrees fahrenheit. Or maybe walking into your house after a long day's work and you see your favorite person baking your favorite treat and they worked so hard so that some are already fresh out of the oven so you take a nice big bite. It could also be the feeling of you and your friends laughing hysterically till you can barely breath at something that outsiders would not perceive as funny. It's the vibes from halloween and the christmas season with the smell of cinnamon, rain, leaves and the aspiring views of the golden red sunset arrangement of leaves that fall down with every gust of wind. Getting those inspiring words from the most dearest person you look up to that fits that last puzzle piece into you heart. Anyone can experience happiness, but we all feel it differently.

A piece i made to show how there can be happiness found anywhere but to describe it you use specific feelings.