The Girl Who Could Fly | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Could Fly

By ForgottenEcho PLATINUM, San Diego, California
ForgottenEcho PLATINUM, San Diego, California

sanity is overrated.

Every flutter of her wings told a story.  

A story of a girl who found her voice. A story of a girl who was tired of living up to everyone else’s expectations. A story of a girl who wasn’t afraid of being who she was.

A story of a girl who let go.

Not everyone remembered the story of this little girl.

But the saying goes that over the course of a mere 24 hours, she lost everything. Her grandfather. Her sense of belonging. Her home. 

Everyone expected the girl to succumb. No one thought this little girl could somehow rise from the ashes and learn to fly.

The rest of this story was a mystery. 

Some say she soared effortlessly, high above the sky one night, never to be seen again. Others claimed this girl had to scale the tallest mountains and brave the heavy wind to finally free away. Some even thought this little girl never existed at all. 

“Flying is impracticable,” they would scoff. “None of the events in this story are possible.” 

And to this, the little girl would respond, “Sometimes, all it takes is one person to do the impossible, if only you remember that in order to fly, you have to let go.”

“Your wings already exist. All you have to do is fly.”

~ Reuben Watson

I based this short story on this quote, which I love because it's so relatable. A while ago, I learned that my grandfather got cancer. We checked in over online calls, and he had barely enough strength to open his eyes. A little while after, my family experienced some violent discrimination regarding Asian hate, with my dad being the victim. It was difficult moving on from that, but I wrote this based on my own experiences (as you may have noticed, since there are several parallels between this little girl's story and my own). Anyway, I hope you enjoy this short article as much as I did writing it. :)

sanity is overrated.

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me. :)

WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works." Virginia Wolf

Story not poem

WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

One word for this poem, AWESOME! This is so good, it has so much meaning to it.