A Recipient | Teen Ink

A Recipient

September 29, 2021
By siyasinha SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
siyasinha SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

An elementary school located in the small town of Arlington, Texas, was wrapping up the school year with one final end of the year assembly. All the kids were excited. There were speeches, games, and of course the awards. To be honest, that’s all I ever really cared about. So many good kids up for so many good awards, I just hoped I was one of them. “Siya Sinha”. I could hear that name being called in my head. That feeling when my name would be called would feel amazing. 

Awards were announced and kids were called up. No “Siya Sinha” yet. More awards were announced. Being the person I am though, I still had my hopes up. It was the last award and I didn’t feel as hopeful anymore. Because the last award was the award that every kid had yearned for. Student of the year. With me only being a third grader, I felt too inferior to think of the possibility. I was up against fourth, fifth, sixth graders. The whole school basically. The principal closened the microphone to his lips while my heart beated rapidly. 

“SIGHA SIGHNA!”

Everyone sat in silence. Was it me? The principal pointed to me and said to come on up. I stood up in hesitation. The applause was non rhythmic, as I slowly walked on stage. I was still wondering if it was me. Well there I was, having won the biggest award of the year, even though it didn’t feel right. It felt like it belonged to Sigha Signha. Whoever that was. 


The author's comments:

This piece is about a personal experience of mine where my name was prounounced wrong. It may not seem like a big deal, but it lessened a good moment of mine. This piece gets the readers hopes up aabout the award, but then ends ngatively, just like my emotions from that day.