My Virtual School | Teen Ink

My Virtual School

By maygong SILVER, Wellesley, Massachusetts
maygong SILVER, Wellesley, Massachusetts

Every dream has a tomorrow, and every tomorrow has a dream.

September 1st, 2020 was when I first entered high school. I was supposed to be traveling for 13 hours to the U.S. and meeting my new friends in the school dorm room, but COVID-19 made everything completely different. Instead of seeing the gorgeous views on our campus, I was stuck in my bedroom all day, either staring into or talking to my laptop screen. 

High school was new to me, a high school in another country, and Zooming for school even more so. It was especially not easy with the time difference of 12 hours; it would have been a luxury to see some sunlight. However, I kept reminding myself of Heraclitus’s claim that “the only constant in life is change”. We should always be ready for changes, take it as the beauty of life, I told myself.

I then started my life with swapped daytimes and nighttimes. I ate breakfast when my parents were having dinner and ate dinner while they were having breakfast. In the first few weeks, I doubted that I could make it through the whole school year with my weird sleeping schedule and almost no in-person social contact. However, fortunate as I was, I made a lot of close friends in my new school even though we hadn’t met each other in person. We texted or FaceTimed almost every break time in between classes which was a helpful stress-reliever. It turned out that I got used to this new learning model within less than a month. I started eating my lunch while zooming with my friends so it was like we were around the same cafeteria table; we also went on Zoom while doing homework so that it looked like we were in a massive study hall where we could help each other with homework assignments or class notes we didn’t understand. 

Now that 2/3 of my first year of high school has already passed, I not only manage all the quizzes, deadlines and after-school activities well, I even find myself enjoying it even if I’m on the other side of the globe, far away from almost everyone else. Thanks to the inclusive and family-like environment of my school and all the friendly and welcoming students there, we can be well-connected despite the physical distance.

It's been almost a year since I became a high-schooler, but I've never been to my school... Nonetheless, no matter how COVID separates us physically, it's never going to succeed in separating our hearts which will stay together for all time, because there's love, and love is much stronger than anything, including COVID.