Know What's Best | Teen Ink

Know What's Best

By annabellebrazee BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
annabellebrazee BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I was driving with my mom and my sister jamming to the radio on our way to the mall to get new clothes for my sister. There was snow all around the ground and the roads had a thin sheet of ice laid over them. I had been used to driving in bad weather at this point but it still scared me how it could be so easy to do the wrong thing. Even if it’s the smallest movement of the car you could end up in a very bad situation. We pulled into the mall after waiting in the entrance behind other cars. I chose a spot between two other cars and one car in front of me. This wasn’t the most ideal spot but it was fine. I slow the car as I approach the parking spot.

“This one will work, remember to turn the wheel sharply and then straighten out.” My mom said. Once I turned and pulled in my mom made me pull out and fix it so I did.

“Could be better let's retry that.” My mom said. It wasn’t my best work. My foot hit the gas instead of the break and I bumped the car slightly. So normally when you bump a car while parking it’s not supposed to move unless you hit it enough to damage it or at all. Well in my situation the car started rolling and rolling and it didn't stop till it hit the car in the row in front of it. Right in the center of the space that you would drive through to get around the parking lot.

“I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry!!!” I said. So I’m freaking out my sister is laughing and my mom is trying to calm me down. You can see how this would be chaotic. We get out of the car to run the report to mall security and they told us to go back out and there would be some guys to meet us out there. So we go and we waited till they arrived.

“Wait so the car moved while it was parked?” they asked.

“Yeah it really doesn’t make any sense.” My mom answered.

“I’ve never seen anything like it, must be those elderly's right?” He said. Me and my mom just stood there awkwardly. The pity giggles came out of both our mouths. After talking with them and signing some paperwork they told us we could go and shop.

A few hours go by and we walk back out to the car and we see that the two cars are still there. Yes the cars are still there. Don’t even ask what would have happen if the car that was basically stuck in front of the other cars owner showed up cause I have no idea. But in all seriousness this situation along with others really made me see how serious driving is. I feel like a lot of times in life we take the thing that sounds more exciting than the thing that you should actually do. Make good decisions for yourself no matter what you want. Know what’s best.