Why Compare? | Teen Ink

Why Compare?

By elizabethabbott6201 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
elizabethabbott6201 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey

You’re you. To estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between is to compare. To feel severe despondency and self-doubt is to be depressed. Why do teen girls have both of these problems? Why do teen girls stand in front of a mirror every single time they see one just to compare themselves with another human? Every girl is guilty of doing it. What causes the urge to stare at your body and do that? That is the big question that everyone wonders.  

Every girl has their own insecurities. I have mine, and you have yours. Why do I feel this way that I have to look a certain way? Every human in this world is different and unique in some way. No one in this world is ever going to be exactly the same. You are you for a reason. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are ugly, fat, worth nothing, too skinny, or something that hurts your heart. For someone to love you, you have to love yourself. Not just love the way you look, but the personality you have, the intelligence, and the confidence. Every girl should walk into a room feeling as if they have brightened the room up. No one should feel down because of their appearance.  

Personally, I could name over 100 things that I am so self-conscious about. So could everyone. If you believe that you can lose a certain amount of weight, or gain a few pounds, grow a couple inches taller, achieve more awards academically, you do it and give it your best and don’t let anyone stop you. Recently I had a doctor's appointment and the biggest thing that I am the most self-conscious about is my weight. I went into my doctor's office for a checkup thinking I would have to go on a diet because I was overweight. Everyone I talked to, made me feel so much better. They all said one thing that meant the world to me, “You are beautiful inside and out. You don’t need to change anything about yourself.” I felt so confident about myself and it made me feel like I was myself for a reason and I couldn’t change that for the first time ever. You see a picture of someone and talk about how you want their waist and their body, but do you think that they feel that they have the perfect body? No one is happy with themselves and it’s bringing down the confidence in people today.  
This generation has to bring the confidence back to a 100%. After hearing what some of my best friends had to tell me, I walked into that doctor’s office feeling so confident. Because of that, nothing happened, and I felt so good and relieved that I was healthy. Two words that changed how I look at myself now, feel about myself, and talk about myself, is: “You’re you.” You are the person you are for a reason. No one will ever tell you differently. Now every time you walk past your mirror, go ahead, and investigate the picture you see and see your beautiful self and be confident with who you are. You’re you.