Memories with My Grandpa | Teen Ink

Memories with My Grandpa

By TylerMeszaros BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
TylerMeszaros BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

The small brass bullet casing that held more than just a bullet. It no longer holds a bullet but holds memories of a long lived life of a great man. The loud shot of the long and skinny hollow bullet shell that landed on the ground as it released its bullet. It started its day in my memories at my Grandpa’s funeral. The hard smooth shell now sits upon a navy blue shelf in my room. I will now have an everlasting representation of my Grandpa.

My Grandpa died on September 11th, 2001. I was there with him all the way until the end. I visited him at the hospital a couple times when he was doing well. As soon as he was released, he had a stroke and was back at the hospital for only a short period of time. He was then transferred to hospice when they gave him 24 hours to live. I will never forget when I was told that. It is now engraved in my mind.

My Grandpa and I were very close. Whenever I would go over to his house, we never failed to talk about sports. Mostly the Yankees which is our favorite team. We would talk about what they could do better and what they’ve been doing good. We also would sit down and watch the ball games together in his living room. He would always be sitting in his black chair while I sit on the recliner. He also would always be drinking a beer. We did something like this all the time.It almost become a tradition at his house.

At his funeral, they had several Army personnel there. My Grandpa served in the Korean War when he was around 18-19. Every man at the funeral had a specific roll. Some of them placed special things on his grave site. Others played the honorary military salute that is played when a fellow Army member passes. The last thing that happened was the 21 gun salute. That is where I got the bullet casing. That is where I have all these memories placed into.

This single bullet casing sits on my navy blue shelf right next to my bed. Everytime I see it, it reminds me of all my memories with my Grandpa. It reminds me of not only my last moments with him but my best moments with him. It takes me back to all the times of talking about sports. I will always remember him talking about his favorite dog Duke. He loved that dog. As hard as my Grandpas farewell was, I know he's a happy man right now.