Resources for Writers: Fantasy/Fiction Edition | Teen Ink

Resources for Writers: Fantasy/Fiction Edition

June 26, 2018
By Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri
325 articles 10 photos 1165 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks


Hey, everyone! I have been setting up a world to write about, and thought these resources that I have been using could be of some help to you, as well! 

Fighter's Block - A "game" based on reaching a wordcount. I find this to be great when I really need to just write, because a first draft is better than no draft. It encourages me to put everything down without worrying about editing or overthinking in the process. That portion of the adventure comes after you write your ideas down. As you write, your HP increases, while stopping makes it drop. There is a pause button, though, so that's an awesome feature so you can take breaks or take a second to gather your ideas. It also saves your work locally, so you can return to it later. After I finish writing in the game, I copy and paste it in my google drive, just for safety's sake and easy access away from home. You can level up your character, and unlock monsters to "fight". 10/10 would recommend. 

Generator Land - a site full of generators, ranging from name generators, prompts, and location name ideas. I love it, as there are many funny options to play around with during a break. You can also create your own extremely easily, and choose to make it public or keep it for private use.

The Pomodoro Technique - This isn't a site or book; it's a studying technique. It was developed by Francesco Cirillo. He found that studying for 25 minute intervals with about 5 minutes in between them as a break worked the best for him, and many others have agreed and adopted the practice, themselves. After four 'pomodoros' (which are the 25 minute study sessions), you can take longer breaks, ranging from 25-30 minutes. It works really well for me while I am writing, especially when I pair it with Fighter's Block, which I mentioned above. The breaks help keep my mind fresh and energized, and I feel much more focused and ready to get writing again afterwards. It increases my productivity immensely. 

The Mudworld Blog - I found this blog via pinterest, another great resource I will mention later, and loved the resources the blogger provides! My favourite page so far is themudworldblog(dot)com (then type the next part after that url): /creating-fantasy-maps/ , which is all about making your world, maps, and the significance of every land formation. I love to lay out my maps before I write, because it helps me develop obstacles, create fluid travel campaigns, and make it much clearer when it comes to why crossing a certain area is easier/more difficult. On that note, you can make your maps by tracing around rice that you scatter on a piece of paper, and "edit" it afterwards, expanding or removing islands or other features. It works great for me, and gives a very rugged, continent-like feel to what you are making. 

DnD/Other Tabletop/Roleplay Game Resources - World maps, character templates, race ideas, etc. can all be found on these kinds of sites, books, and from friends who play the game. I love DnD, and take a lot of inspiration from the lively discussions and thought-provoking scenarios that one can find therein. 

Pinterest - You can find character design ideas by looking through the photography/art/portrait searches, find inspiring photos of nature or drawings of a scifi temple. You can mane boards, and now the option for sub-boards is also available. This makes it super simple to keep all of your resources for a particular book or category in one place. There are also direct links to posts on blogs that include tips and guides for writers looking for some help. It's an under-used resource for writers, in my opinion. You can even keep boards private to avoid spoiling your story, or giving out ideas.