The Start | Teen Ink

The Start

October 31, 2016
By Anonymous

Crack! The sound of the bat smacking the ball and it flying through the air as the runs are flashing on the scoreboard in the championship game. The feeling when the final run crosses the plate was the feeling I will never forget.


On a humid sticky afternoon the air was heavy, and it was when one of the most exciting feeling that I have ever had happened.  The whole outfield fence was filled with western blue hanging on the fences waiting for that final run to cross the plate to go crazy. It was in the bottom of fourth inning of the championship game, we were up 12-3. All we need is one more run and the title was ours. “Now stepping up to the plate Jack,” said the announcer.


Bang! The ball was flying off the bat of Jack and soaring through the air toward the left fielder and smacks the ball hits the ground in front of him and skids by him.


“Dylan get your your helmet on” Coach Nickel said. Jack is standing on second base with no outs. “Jack,” coach yells.


“Pinch runner number 9 Dylan,” the announcer said. “Now stepping up to the plate Caleb,” the announcer said. Once we heard that loud smack of the ball meeting the bat was when our hearts went racing a million miles an hour with joy beating out of our chest.


The instant the ball hit the ground we were all out of the dugout racing to Caleb who hit the walk off hit to win our first title. The number changes from 12 to 13 and the game is over 13 to 3. The field was scattered with hats and gloves. Jumping in the air was the best feeling ever and on top of that we were hugging the team and celebrating as our memories fall before our eyes. As we ran around the field thanking all the 200 or so parents and fans the had came and supported us the whole way.


The game ended at 12 and our whole team was there until 2 celebrating getting pictures with family friends and breathing the warm sticky air as memories were created. Thoughts were flying around plans being created on who would be hosting the party for the celebration.


Macnamaras committed to hosting the party for celebrating and that is when their house became the ultimate party house. They have everything that you need and more. We all had the time of our lives that day.
Our first title had a huge impact on our team because it proved that we had potential. It also pushed us to get better so that we could defend our title and prove that we should have won and it wasn't just luck. And we all knew that we would have a big target on our back for next year.


Overall, nothing could compete with the feeling except do the same thing two more times the next two year. We have won District Nine 3 years in a row and are defending champs. There are many more titles in the future and many more great memories but this it where they all started.