Dealing with Adversity While Being in a Military Family | Teen Ink

Dealing with Adversity While Being in a Military Family

September 28, 2015
By kpcallan BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia
kpcallan BRONZE, Arlington, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was born, my dad has been a helicopter pilot in the military, causing us to move as a family every three years to different locations within the United States.   At first, when I was young, our moves were exciting and adventurous, as I looked forward to seeing new things and meeting new friends.  However, as time progressed and I got older, each move became increasingly difficult for me.  Missing friends, learning new schools, changing sports teams and leaving my home were some of the struggles I felt during these times.  Although it was a challenge, I tried to focus on the positive aspects of moving, such as finding new friends, keeping old friends, and experiencing different places around the country.


When I was young, my brother and sister and I got very excited to move to a new state, a new house, and meet new friends.  School had not yet started for the three of us, so we were best friends with each other, making moving an easy transition.  As I got older, however, the moves became more challenging, especially after starting school and meeting good friends.  For me, the most difficult part of moving across the country with my family was needing to say goodbye to all of my close friends who I had gotten to know well over the past three years.  I found myself envious of those kids who were able to stay in one place growing up, not having to change neighborhoods, friends, or schools.  The stability they had was something I did not know about and wished I had at times.  Some of my friends wished they could move around like I did, but I explained to them that it is not an easy life to live.  When I had to say goodbye, it made me feel sad, lonely and anxious of the uncertainties facing me.  Every time we moved, it was in the summer months, so it was difficult to meet new friends since no one was in school.  Occasionally I would meet a kid or two in the neighborhood, but most of those summers were spent unpacking and adjusting to my new life with my family.  Not only did I need to make new friends, but I had to start with new coaches, teachers, and church groups.  I still remember the first day I attended Taylor Elementary School in the fifth grade.  I felt alone, and was missing my friends.  Sitting by myself during lunch was difficult, watching all of the other kids talk and have fun together.  Recess was the same; I did not know anyone and spent it by myself.  In time, I became more comfortable, but the transition was not easy. 


Moving from one state to another also made it hard to be consistent with learning and I often had to work to catch up on school work that was not covered in the previous school I attended.  For example, when I moved to Virginia, I was expected to know all of the Virginia history for the SOL test, though I had not learned it.  I was well educated in California history, but this did not help me when I moved to Arlington.  There was a lot of extra work for me to catch up on in order to be successful as a student here.  Although these many adversities were challenges for me over the years of moving, I tried to focus on the good things associated with relocating such as meeting new friends, being proud of my dad, and appreciating the new area where we were living.


Some of the positives of moving include making new friends while keeping old ones, experiencing different places in the United States, and supporting my dad’s job.  I keep in contact with my old friends very easily by using social media such as Instagram, Twitter, Skype, and Facebook.  The first few weeks at a new school were usually very difficult for me, since I did not know many people, but eventually I always found a group of friends that I was comfortable hanging out with.  Getting to experience different parts of the country was a really interesting thing to me. I was born in Massachusetts, and lived in Florida, California, and Virginia.  Since they are for the most part far apart from each other, I have been able to experience what it is like in the north, south, east, and west in just a few years.  In California I lived very close to the Golden Gate Bridge, which I saw almost every day.  In Massachusetts I lived in Boston, which is also a very well known city.  In Florida I lived near Pensacola Beach, which was a lot of fun while I was young.  Now I live right next to Washington, D.C., which is where the nation’s capital is.  Realizing all of these benefits helped me to accept the life of a military family, and overcome some of the adversity that goes along with it.  Supporting my dad throughout his military career also made it easier for me to accept the challenges which faced me over the years.  I am very proud of his accomplishments, and the sacrifices he has made over the years for both my family and our country.  I remember when he was nominated for Captain in the United States Coast Guard, and my siblings and I were asked to pin on his new rank onto his uniform.  These moments helped to make the negative aspects of military life seem a little easier to handle.


Many of my friends were able to stay in one neighborhood and  one school system until they graduate, while others like me had to move around a lot and start a new life several times.  I realize now that it made me a stronger person, more able to handle adversity, and to accept change easier than other kids my age.  I have learned how to adapt well to where I am living, am comfortable meeting new people, and appreciate all of the amazing places that my family and I have been fortunate enough to live.