My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By Lauren Munoz BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa
Lauren Munoz BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa

My name was chosen by my parents, but I never knew why they had chosen the name that they did for me. I have five brothers and a sister and all of my brothers had been named after someone in the Bible. My sister and I on the other hand had names that were chosen, but don’t have a clear explanation of why. My sister’s name was chosen by my grandmother, but my parents had chosen mine. I don’t have a problem with my name, but I sometimes wish I could change it to something else.
My name, Lauren, is a Latin baby name. The meaning of my name is: Of Lorentum, the place of laurel leaves. My name also comes from the Irish name Lorcan which means fierce. I have never thought of myself as someone fierce, I have never felt like I have shown great emotions of aggressiveness, but I do think that it’s interesting to know the origin of my name.             
I do sometimes wish that I was given another name, though. I thought that my name should fit in with my brothers’ names, since their names had come from the Bible. My parents have told me that my name actually does relate to the name Laurentina, a name from the Bible. My parents had told me that when I was little, and have been calling me that as a nickname ever since. I do though, wish that my name could be something different, like Marie or Anna. Anna would be my first choice, because it has a prettier meaning. Anna is a variation of the name, Hannah. Hannah, in Hebrew, means grace, so Anna would also mean grace. I believe this would be a more suitable definition of who I am instead of the meaning to my real name.
I’ve always thought of changing my name to something else, but then I think about if I changed my name, I would be changing a lot about me. I would be changing the meaning of my name to something new, and I would be changing something that my parents had chosen for me.
I do like my last name and middle name though. My middle name is Michelle. My middle name is the feminine name of Michael, which means gift from God. I’ve always liked my middle name, and I thought that the meaning of it was really interesting. I sometimes think that I should switch my middle name and my first name, or have people call me by my middle name instead.
My last name on the other hand, is something I find to be perfectly fine. I think it’s an interesting and popular last name. I’ve always wondered where my last name had come from though, and I wish I was able to find out. My name has many meanings and “definitions” to it, but I don’t really pay attention to the real meanings of my name. To me, my name is just defining who I am, and who I am related to.  I have learned so much about my name and what it means, but I still think there is so much more to learn. I think learning more would help me figure out why my parents chose the name that they did for me. I always thought they had just chosen a name that seemed to suit me, but really, I think there was more to it than that. Learning about my name has got me deeper into thinking about why it was chosen and what was so special about it. Sometimes I wonder if my name was chosen because of a special meaning or because I was named after someone I was related to. I do not know the real answer to that question, and it still remains a mystery. I feel like there is still more to know about my name and why it was chosen, but also, I think that the name that was given to me is just another thing that was just meant to be, and I think that is perfectly fine.