Durante the Cat | Teen Ink

Durante the Cat

By londoncalling SILVER, Los Angeles, California
londoncalling SILVER, Los Angeles, California

'I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!'
'What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?' said George indignantly… - Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter

Durante. small, black and sleepy. He was named after Jimmy Durante,the singer/comedian, because he has such a big, black nose. He is the cat who speaks with words instead of actions. Warm as a blanket, and soft as cotton candy.

Every weekend, when I volunteer at cat adoptions up the street, he is there watching me with his big moon eyes. He is always as sleepy as warm milk and silent as a mouse. Whenever I pick him up, he curls into my arms and settles down to get comfy. He is as patient as a spider, and is just about comfortable with anyone. When he starts to purr, it vibrates through his whole body like a big, loud belly laugh. Soft and gentle, he is always mellow. When people come bye and hold him, they notice how still he is.

“Is something wrong with him?” they ask.

“No, that’s just his personality” I assure them. Even though he is the quietest out of all the cats, he is always the one to be held and petted the most bye all of the curious adoptees.

He is a people magnet. They adore him for being the one object in their life that speaks with actions, not words. He just sits quietly and contentedly on your lap, never complaining, and it is like he is communicating to you telepathically. You feel like he is talking to you just by sitting on your lap. He never hisses and growls, even when being held by strange people, some who have never even held a cat before. Every weekend, he is patiently waiting for the perfect kind and caring person to adopt him.