The Farm | Teen Ink

The Farm

By londoncalling SILVER, Los Angeles, California
londoncalling SILVER, Los Angeles, California

'I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!'
'What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?' said George indignantly… - Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter

Big, red, and beautiful. The farm was almost always a part of visiting England ever since I can remember. It is nestled into the Long Sussex countryside like an egg in a nest. The moment the car hits the long, rocky driveway that is laced in emerald trees, it feels magical. Then, after a few minutes, you can see the big, queer house that is filled with surprises, such as an old bathtub in the floor. It is over 200 years old, so there is no heating, only one, big fireplace that heats the whole house. And all of the door-frames and were built out of wood, and are very short, as if a dwarf had lived there.

It is a fun place to hang out with my younger cousin’s. When we were little, we built a “secret fort” in the woods that is a part of the farm. We used a log as a see-saw, and my uncle made a rope ladder that led up to a tree that was used as a mini tree-house. We played there every day until my cousin fell off of the see-saw into a big patch of stinging nettles, a plant that is like poison ivy, but when you touch it, boils form on that place where you touched the poison ivy, and you have to rub a dock leaf all over until the stinging goes away.

In the woods by the farm, there is a shallow pond, with a duck house in the center and an old statue without a head leaning over the pond, as if looking at it’s reflection. My great grandad and grandma were the ones who bought the farm, so they added a writing shack, and a big brick studio, which is filled with uncomfortable old furniture, hard as a rock since they were made about sixty years ago. The studio is the creepiest place in the farm because it is cut off from the rest of the house. It has old masks, cold stone floors, and creepy set designs that my great-granny made. Outside the house, there is a big green trampoline, that is as bouncy as a rubber-band. I used to spend all day with my cousins playing games and bouncing as high as we could with my cousins.

There is always something to do, and there is always more places to explore. The farm is the place that my family has fun, where you can never be bored, and play all day.