A Shopaholic's prayer | Teen Ink

A Shopaholic's prayer MAG

By QueenNobo SILVER, Port Harcourt, Other
QueenNobo SILVER, Port Harcourt, Other

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again.

Lord, help me to be prudent.
Help me look the other way when I'm walking past a shop window.
Help me to not stare at the gorgeous Prada shoes that are exactly my size.

Help me to not stop and drool over that elegant white Chanel dress draped over that mannequin who's beckoning at me.

Help my feet obey my head and not walk into the shop just to have a look – just a look, Lord.

And even when I'm in the shop, help me to not fall in love with that green silk scarf, which is the exact shade of my eyes. As it slides through my fingers, may they not snatch it off the display rack.

But Lord, surely, a mere scarf will not drain my account, will it?

As I walk through the valley of the shadows of Zara gowns, deliver me from my lust for fashion. For one of these gowns will cost me an entire month's salary.

And those Christian Dior watches, I hear they last for all eternity. A wise investment, right? I only own fourteen watches currently, and none of them are this exquisite black suede color.

My feet are going somewhere – where? Oh no – pink Gucci boots! I could never say no. Look, they only cost $120. I know I don't have that kind of cash, but then who uses cash to shop? That's what You created credit cards for, right? I'll just use my Shoprite card. All the others are maxed out.

Hey, wait! Where's my card? Oh … I left in my other purse. How sad. Those enchanting Gucci boots are taken from me. No more shopping. I'd better go home and sulk.

As I walk away without my arms full of shopping bags, the mannequins look sad, sad, sad. Thank God traffic isn't jammed today. Home in ten minutes.

I'm walking through my front door with only the Burberry bag I carried to work today. I didn't shop! Yay! I'm so happy, happy, happy! I'd better celebrate chocolate-ice-cream style.

Thank you, God, for answering the prayer of a desperate shopaholic.

This was inspired by the book and movie...''confessions of a shopaholic''.

chemokopi said...
hmmm...this is nice. I know I have had that feeling some times when some T-shirts behind the glass look too good to be passed up.