Really Nice Things | Teen Ink

Really Nice Things MAG

By ishouldbesolucky PLATINUM, Corvallis, Oregon
ishouldbesolucky PLATINUM, Corvallis, Oregon

To name a few: The way babies grin toothlessly from produce-filled shopping carts; and the way the mountains sometimes emerge from the fog and mist to remind me that some things are unshakable; and the way coffee shops fill me with a warmth that has nothing to do with hot beverages and everything to do with the people around me; and the way that, when you submerge photo paper in developer, unimaginable and beautiful truths burst out of the whiteness; and the way that, one week in late January, my morning schedule synced perfectly with the grapefruit sunrise; and the way that I sometimes catch the eye of a stranger waiting at a red light next to me and we grin at each other like lost friends; and the way elderly couples holding hands always fill me with joy and hope and jealousy until I almost cry; and the way bread tastes after you've been sitting in a restaurant for an hour watching other people's food float by; and the way people sometimes hop down the halls without touching the white tiles like a throwback to elementary lava tag; and the way my dog lets me use her like a fleecy black pillow when I can't stand to be alone; and the way that lockers are shared like tandem bicycles; and the way the cheerleaders dress for a tropical climate despite the actual weather; and the way that a line from a song I've heard a hundred times can suddenly stop me dead in my tracks; and the way the silence of the darkroom envelops everyone in an unspoken truce, an individual collective embrace; and the way music sometimes floats eerily out of an unseen practice room like the soundtrack to your life; and the way people sometimes chew on their pens as if they want to suck out all the ink and spit it back out in concrete sentences.

And, of course, the way we get by.

This was inspired by an essay read in an English class.

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

lovely little details! This piece makes you feel good... please keep writing

kitkatbar1 said...
I think that it needs a little less sensory detail because when u have so much it distracts from what you are trying to say but it is a nice story i enjoyed reading it

LFAKJSDL said...
I DONT think this is cheasy.  Very nicely written and true.

xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

Cheesy...  but really very nice. :)

Ashley Chia BRONZE, Arcadia, California
This was such an amazing and elegantly crafted piece. Would love to read more from the author!

zanay BRONZE said...
zanay BRONZE, Van Nuys, California

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

I'm sort of at a loss for words...in a very good way.

This was absolutely brilliant and I can totally and completely relate. I really wish that one day I can write like this. Thank you. :)