The Naruto. [ Part I ] | Teen Ink

The Naruto. [ Part I ]

September 17, 2009
By Wolfsong GOLD, Willow Spring, North Carolina
Wolfsong GOLD, Willow Spring, North Carolina
12 articles 1 photo 12 comments

As I sit here, staring at a computer screen, I recall one of my loveliest, scariest memories in my life.

My name is not important. My current age is also of little use. What matters is I was eleven at the time, and it has been a couple of years since the "Matt Incident."
It started out as an innocent crush; a hunger for someone for me to love, and for someone to love me in return. A longing, if you will.
But we're getting a little too far into the story.
It was the summer of fifth grade, and I was browsing the quizzes made by bored teens on Quizzilla. One quiz in particular caught my eye - it said something like, "Become your own Naruto Character!" I was thrilled, because I was eleven, and already pumped up on "What do the Naruto characters think of you?" quizzes.
So I clicked.
It was a Naruto Role Play Group, or, RPG for short. I joined under the screenname, Kyuubi, meaning Fox in Japanese. Long story short, as Kyuubi, I guess I got on a few people's nerves, because I became a victim of cyber-bullying. So I deleted Kyuubi's account, and created a new one, so people couldn't recognize me - Mau, after my cat.
I stayed on Mau's account for several months, and, as the summer flew by, I continued to check and roleplay on the site. One day, I looked at the "Please welcome our newest member:" section in the info center, and it said a new name;
Naruto.
I nearly trembled with excitement as I clicked the name. It was a cannon character, meaning, it was from the TV show I watched, which was called Naruto. I messaged this "Naruto" person, and we talked for a span of a couple of days. I found out his name was Matt, and he was 19 years old. We became friends, and soon, I discovered that I had a small crush on him.
I talked to him some more, and I continued to talk to him for a year and a half. Over that period of time, all I wanted was him. I sat in front of a computer screen for over 6 hours a day, my fingers clicking on the keyboard as they are right now, as I'm typing up this story. Over that period of time, my crush grew and grew. My mother finally stopped me one day, and she said,
"Honey. I think you've got a crush."
To my dismay, I realized she was right.
The time of my 12th birthday had already passed, and I was entering 6th grade. Every morning, I'd get up and talk to Matt. Until finally, one day after school, I told him I had to talk to him. He gave me his work phone number, because he was always at work.
So I called him.
I was literally shaking as the phone rang.
"Hello?" I squeaked.
"Hello?" Came a voice.
We continued to say hello, until the voice finally laughed and said something like, "Is this going to be all you're going to say to me?"
I was still shaking, worried I was accidentally going to hang up or say something stupid.
"Um... Um..." I stuttered.
He asked me if I felt uncomfortable, and I said no. I refused to let him know why I was acting so weird. He finally asked me if I wanted to go back online, and I said yes.

More to come.


The author's comments:
Sitting here, alone, with nothing to do but my homework, I am reminded of this terrible thing that could have been...