Out of Fuel | Teen Ink

Out of Fuel

They said they'd be there by 

9

o

clock

And it was

9

4

5

I can tell because I'm very intelligent for a 7 year old. That's what Ms. McDaniel said, but I don't really like her. She yelled at me cause I didn't have the right winter packet. But her winter packet was LAAMMMEEEEEE and I put a lot of work into mine.

L     T         O       W    R       !

O     S         F       O    K   !  ! 

I ripped out a ton of pages from this math book HK got me and spent all night working on it. I don’t like math. She didn't even look at it! Made me take a walk of shame to pick back up from the back table AND bring it back to my desk while EVERYBODY  was watching. Very mean. 

But my mom isn't mean. Not always. Sometimes she yells too but she gives me candy. She said to dress nicely, so I have on a wool sweater and black pants. I picked it out last night, because I don’t need anybody’s help anymore. It's a very nice sweater. Beige and warm. My mom braided my hair and put the cool broaches in it. I couldn't wait to show my dad. I couldn’t wait to see him

And RaRa, 

and AJ, 

and Kennedy. 

It's Kennedy's birthday today! I’m very excited because she's turning one. She still acts like a baby. But she’s a bigger baby. Big enough that I can pick her up. But I can only pick her up when RaRa drives us to her party. 

So I sit in front of the window

And watch for a green car

_____________________________________________________________________________

Red, Blue, Silver, Black, Black, Silver, White. 

I’m good with my colors--just like I’m good with time.

No green car, and it’s 

10

o

FIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You know, I haven’t seen my Dad that much. Mom says to call him Anthony. He sounded busy when mom called to ask when RaRa would get here. 

Silver, Black, Red, Red, White, Black, Blue, Yellow

\ō͡≡o˞̶

I’m good at drawing cars. When I get a car, it’s going to be bright pink. Maybe Purple. Actually, no. Purple is my least favorite color. It looks, bad?

Black, Silver, Black, Silver, Black, Black, Black

Maybe I should get something to eat. I’m hungry, and I’ll be careful not to dirty my clothes. I’ll eat extra fast so that I don’t miss it when they pull up. 

…………………….

……………………..

……………………….

I’m bored. It's

6

P

Dad isn’t answering anymore. My mom is nearby, and she keeps looking at me with this weird look on her face. What? Maybe their car doesn’t work and they had to buy a new one. Or maybe Kennedy is sick and threw up all over the birthday cake, and they had to get candy to make her feel better. 

Black…………White…………………Black

At some point I move to the couch. I’ve changed into my pajamas and suddenly I wished I’d gone to the park with my younger brothers instead of staying inside. My mom comes over and gives me a hug, but it doesn’t make me feel better. Mom’s hugs always make me feel better. But I only want to cry. She tells me to call HK dad, and that he will be home tonight. Then I really cry. But like a car without fuel, the engine to my tears slowly dies out. 

Anthony’s been long gone.

Kennedy should be 8 this year.

I wrote this piece in the point of view of 7 year old me, who was too young and naive to realize what divorce meant to the family I had known all my life.