Left Alone | Teen Ink

Left Alone

Words, taps, and steps start to drive us insane with impatience, nearing the airport. Hands gripped at hands until we’re separated, separated at the security line from the final hug, and now her favorite shirt is wrinkled. 

Tears flowing silently out of my eyes and a shout that seemed as though it cut off the silence of autumn.

Suddenly there was a flashback as I boarded the plane to my new life. The buzzing mosquitoes, the berry bushes, the Chinese dramas, and her with that overly-cheery smile. 

The matching necklaces that she bought with her first allowance were torn apart for what I thought was eternity. The girl with her pale white skin that the summer got rid of, the girl I never wanted to leave.

I cried bitterly that night, in the locked hotel bathroom, by myself, at almost 1 am. I left what I thought was my entire life behind—I was too hung up on the past.

A patterned letter, sent to her from across the country. She responded and answered all of my questions but I wished that I could see her again.

We only ever met once briefly again but I thought, if only I could stop this, if only I could meet her again. If only I could.

I left my best friend of 8 years, in Albany, New York 5 years ago. My set piece reflects what happened the day I left and it also puts my feelings into perspective. I purposely added a lot of adjectives to try and describe everything that happened. I also tried to use a lot of imagery(in the flashback part) as well as some symbolism(such as the first paragraph). Imagery is when you use figurative language to evoke a mental image and symbolism is when you use something to represent something else. Some sentences were also referenced from one of my favorite songs, Shoujo Rei (which means Ghost Girl in English). What I like about my piece is that the way I wrote the flashback section brings me nostalgia and bittersweet memories. Also, credit to Chloe from third period for inspiring the ending part.