Morning Walk | Teen Ink

Morning Walk

November 6, 2023
By Anonymous

     It had been a long week, and I have decided to procrastinate and not do my homework for the weekend, its six am, today's one of the rare days that I wake up extremely early, I don’t normally wake up this early, but on the days that I do, it’s always on productive day. I open my curtains, the sky looks like it’s the evening instead of the morning. I sit up on my bed feeling very energized, the cold morning air is refreshing. I put my feet on the cold hard floor. I walk through the hallway, everyone’s asleep. I head down the stairs and slip on my shoes. I'm wearing my clothes from yesterday, shorts and a t- shirt. I remember from yesterday that today was going to be a low of 51° F and a high of 68°F.

    I head to the front door and as soon as I open the door, I’m hit with the cold foggy fresh morning air. The frosty grass that sparkles when the sun hits, and the foggy image in front of me is so refreshing.I start walking and the sun starts to rise. The sounds of the bottom of my shoes grinding on the hard concrete sidewalk, birds, crickets, and critters makes me think, when was the last time I actually went outside, without my phone, to take a refreshing walk to actually appreciate my natural surroundings? Because taking a walk in the morning is actually really rela-…Oh crap, there’s a person walking on the same sidewalk as me. It’s one of those old east Asian ladies that are normally really nice and social. Shoot. Should I just wave? Should I say good morning? Ignore her? Walk a different way? Just as I was about to wave at her. The lady just went the other way.I was just overthinking. Maybe taking a walk in the morning isn’t actually relaxing.


The author's comments:

I think people nowadays don’t actually take the time to go outside without their device and actually appreciate their surroundings.