The Scar | Teen Ink

The Scar

October 23, 2023
By Anonymous

There I was in the ER near Grass lake Michigan. I was having a fun weekend camping hanging out by a big campfire with my dad,stepmom and my dads friends. We had like four or five campers circled around with a fire right in the middle. Next to it was a pile of logs that I tossed in about once every ten minutes. The smell of fire filled the air and the sound of a fire cracking was also there. It was a saturday and I planned on watching football but since Covid 19 was happening there weren't really any good games happening. So my brother and I went fishing but couldn't catch anything because of the weather, although we did see 2 big black snakes in the water. We were getting bored of fishing so I casted my neon green rod one last time before going back to the site. When I got back I debated with my brother on whether or not I should go on a bike ride.

Arriving back at the site I see my gray bike with black rims and red brakes(that didn't work the best). My brother was begging me to go on trails and kept talking about this really big hill back there. He wanted me to go with him and his friend who was a shorter, really scrawny kid, he was probably about 11 at the time. He had short brown hair. He was sitting on a really expensive looking mountain bike and was wearing a light gray helmet. I finally said screw it and went back on the trails. We had to ride all the way through the campground back by the fishing pond where I was fishing earlier, then we went behind the front check-in/store. Behind the store I see a heavily wooded area with lots of dense green trees. There was probably a 4 foot wide by 10 foot tall opening. The ground was covered with leaves and sticks, making it a little harder to pedal. With each time I pedaled I heard leafs crunching and sticks breaking. Next to the trail there were dead trees with mushrooms and moss going on them. There were also various green weeds next to the trails.

We rode probably about a half mile back into the woods and there were 2 HUGE, probably 50 ft tall hills with a dip in between them. The path of the hills were really bumpy. The trees on/next to the hill were huge as well. Their roots were growing through the ground on the path making the hill really rough. The tops of the trees were starting to darken, most of them were orange with hints of green. I ride up while my brother pushes his bike to the top and his friend pushes his bike up behind me huffing and puffing. We get to the top then sit there for a minute and take in the view of woods surrounding us. My brother went down the hill, then His friend. It was just me at the top when my brother's friend got out of the way then I started to go. He moved back onto the path for whatever reason and I swerved. 

I swerved off the trail and ended up hitting a dead tree before flying onto another dead tree that was laying on the ground. My mouth landed on the dead tree. I got up and was confused but started pushing my bike out of the woods. It didn't really hurt yet because I had adrenaline. There was blood gushing out of my lip and a piece of wood stuck in my lip,from the dead tree. I made it up to the store where a worker put me on their golf cart and took me to my site. There they called the ambulance and it was going to take them a while to arrive so my dad decided to take me to the closest hospital,we flew to the closest hospital doing like 80 mph down every back road. Once I got to the ER they sat me for like an hour,I could smell the hospital smell, there were a couple other people in there. The phones seemed like they were ringing off the charts and the lights were really bright almost like it was a dream. I felt like I wanted to go to bed but had to stay up. Time felt like it was barely moving as I kept looking at my phone, the clock then my phone again. My dad was sitting there silently waiting. Luckily I had braces or I'd be missing 2 or more teeth. After me groaning through getting 5 stitches right under my lip they said I could go to the U of M dentist or go home and go to my dentist. After about 3 hours in the ER I chose to go home and go to my dentist tomorrow. My grandma was already up at the campground visiting so she took me home. 

This experience was important to me because it taught me a lot and it also told me alot about myself. This was the first time I got stitches and that just adds to the story. From this I learned to make smarter choices and to pay more attention as well. From this I carry the scar right under my lip where there was a big cut and stitches. This taught me a lot more than I thought it did looking back on it. I feel like in a way this taught me to be safer when riding my dirtbike too. This was not a good experience and definitely one to learn from. I have not been back to that campground yet,although I do still enjoy camping.


The author's comments:

This was something that happened to me a couple years ago it was traumatizing but I learned from it.