The Keys To My Future | Teen Ink

The Keys To My Future

By Wesleylo8 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
Wesleylo8 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan

I am driving home from school on a warm sticky Tuesday afternoon. I am driving home from school after football practice just ended so I am full of sweat, my shirt is wet and I am tired. I have the windows down and I can feel the wind wrap my face with its cool air. I am almost home and I think to myself about how grateful I am to be able to drive and have my keys. I am able to drive my car with my small black rectangular car keys. I only got my car keys about 4 months ago and it has been the most relaxing time of my life. I can go places when I want and I don't even have to wait on anybody to burn my time like a candle. It makes my life so much easier and I don't know what I would do without it.

He is a very nice person who is always doing good. He has brown hair. He just got his driver's license and now he can drive. He is a really good driver and is really safe. He likes to drive because he can actually get places on time instead of having his mom take him places and be late. He is very nice and he is a very helpful person. He always has his car keys in his pocket so he can drive when he needs to. He mostly drives to football practice. My car is a very nice white-looking car with nice tan leather seats. You can always hear the radio in my car. The car always smells good because of the air freshener. It always has a good atmosphere and is fun to be in. You can always see nature and feel the wind on your face. 

The first time that I drove by myself after I got my keys I had to go to summer lifting for football. But there was one big obstacle. The worst storm of the entire summer was here but I was up to the task and I was determined to finally drive by myself. So I went into the dark gloomy abyss of rain. It was very very frigid due to the piercing gusts of wind that were at least 20-25 mph. Tree branches were falling so much that you could have thought it was raining branches. I was getting close to the school but not close enough when the rain started coming down extremely hard and the wipers couldn’t even clear the rain in time so I was basically blinded but I finally made it through. My first time driving all by myself was a complete success. That storm prepared me for anything because to this day I have not experienced anything as bad.

I am driving to school and I can smell the burning smell of gas and feel the piercing wind on my face with the windows down. The car accelerates up to speed while I'm driving home from a long dirty sweaty hard day at football practice. I can see the yellow dotted lines in the road while I drive on the black solid hard concrete. The sound of the other red, black white, and gray cars surrounding me from all angles is deafening because it's like a race to get to one place. I see my red brick house in the distance and I know that the journey is almost complete. I pull into the gray concrete driveway and I realize that I finally made it home and I can go inside.This small black rectangular key fob that I received just a few months ago has led me to be a much better person today. Today as i can drive to school early in the morning as the sun rises and I don’t have to wait anymore for the terrible sound of the giant yellow machine screeching to a stop to pick me up. Now me and my sister can go to school in my nice white much faster and less annoying car. We are now always on time and never are late to school. My schedule went from a messy, terrible, annoying schedule to a much more clear schedule due to much more being on my own time. I have become a more complete person as a whole. 

Finally, this experience has been important to me because it has taught me to be much more independent than I ever have been before. This has made me more of an aware person to always be ready for anything. This has impacted me because it helps me to think how far I have come since I was little and think about what it would be like to drive and now I am able to drive wherever I need to go. Since July when I got my keys, it has helped me to understand how to be independent and to be aware of everything around me, not even just driving. Overall I think it has made me a better person.