Summer sun | Teen Ink

Summer sun

By Vendema BRONZE, Plainfield, New York
Vendema BRONZE, Plainfield, New York
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

I closed my eyes. I could feel the rays of warm sunlight on my body, the bees buzzing, and my cousins laughing in the distance. It was summer and I headed down to Texas with my family, but that was a couple weeks ago and we had already settled down in my grandparent’s house. I could remember the smell of the antique furniture that my grandparents had for decades. The smell consisted of dust and warm memories that fill your senses like warm honey. I heard someone call my name and a dog barking, so much noise. I love the noise. I thought about who was calling my name as I opened my eyes for the first time in a while. It was my brother, he had a dog in his hands and was coming over to show me. I quickly sat up, as I was lying on the ground, and blinked a couple times to get my eyes adjusted to the rays of the sun. My brother came closer with his eyes wide open like he just won the lottery. “Look!” My brother exclaimed while shoving the dog near me. I smiled and started to pet the dog, his fur was soft and short and his hair colors only consisted of brown, a little of white on his head, and black that covered most of his body. I sat up as I now noticed its has been an hour, I recognized this because the clock outside had told me. I ran to the back door, for it wasn’t too far, I opened the door and realized I had missed going out with my grandma. I wasn’t too upset, sometimes I like to be alone. I grabbed some sweet tea from the fridge, it was cold just the way I liked it. I poured some into a glass, the scent of tea and sugar filled my nose with great pleasure. I walked calmly back outside and sighed at the pleasant feeling of grass between my toes. I sat down in a chair and sipped my tea as though it was the greatest refreshment on earth. I set my drink down on a table that was located next to me. I closed my eyes once more and filled my senses again with the birds chirping, the sweet smell of tea, and the grass between my toes.

This is the one pleasant experience I had at my extended families home. I will cherish it.