2021 Kindness Contest | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest

November 29, 2021
By RossiAryanna BRONZE, Edina, Minnesota
RossiAryanna BRONZE, Edina, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In 2020, The pandemic was long and hard. Never seeing friends and being stuck inside was hard on many Blake students. Lots of people all around the world were going through tough times. The world stopped and yet kept going. There was lots of fear in the world and confusion creating violence and anger between people. People yelling at each other about freedom and racism. So many problems the world was facing. People protesting for Geroge Floyed around the world and America splitting into two sides. People losing their jobs and the economy suffering.


I didn't really mind hybrid or remote. I like waking up later, and having free time. Though I did miss my friends very much and was very sad for all the losses of covid around the world and of people I knew. Seeing all the change, anger,  fear, confusion, and sadness in the U.S.A and the Earth was scary. It made me more grateful for what I had and mourn the loss of peoples' sanity,  jobs, homes, friends, and family.


Thankfully for technology, I was able to still go to school and FaceTime friends.  I so much appreciated my friends during the pandemic calling me every day and talking to me like it was all normal. During every lunch break we talked about school work and the news. Joking about how our parents always told us that you're living in history and it was true. Those calles through the pandemic were an act of kindness because through all the craziness of the world that made me feel grounded. One of my friends would go on walks with me even in the winter because we couldn’t hang together inside. Our noses are bright red and running. 


Looking back at the worst of the pandemic I remember thinking that it felt normal and I realize how big of a deal living all of that was . I remember everyone was so confident we would be back in two weeks, well two weeks turned into two years and we’re still in this pandemic. I’m thankful for my teachers, friends and family.


The author's comments:

This is for staying together in through the pandemic.