My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By TheWritingGuy123 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
TheWritingGuy123 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

My name is Gabe. More specifically Gabriel. The name Gabe is like a vast blue ocean with a white, sandy beach. Coconuts. The vast landscape of Hawaii.  Its rolling, green hills. The palm trees swaying in the breeze. A dormant volcano in the distance. The wildlife. There are bright-colored birds, exotic fish, and scaly reptiles. I think of the name Gabe as the number 88. The number 88 is worn by my favorite hockey player and role model, Patrick Kane. When I see Patrick Kane fly down the ice, dangling through the defenders and scoring a goal, I try and imagine myself doing that. To take it a step further, I try to apply it to my game when I’m playing hockey.

When I think of my name, I think of a calm ocean just before a hurricane. Other people say my name is smooth with ridges and folds and it’s a “chill person” name. I agree because it’s very similar to what I think about my name. 

The name Gabe seems to me like it belongs to someone who is relentless. Someone with strength. Happiness. If I’m playing hockey, I try to work for every puck. Have friendly conversations with my teammates. Out on the links, I have to be assertive. I can’t let the angry emotions get the best of me.

There are times when I wish my name was something different. Like Connor, Andrew, Evan, or Jack. All these names are easy to pronounce and don’t sound weird when said out loud. There are times when teachers say Gaaabriel (like the girl name). It’s kind of embarrassing.

When I think of my name, I think of my parents. After all, they are the ones that decided what it should be. My mom, Tara. Her relentless effort and strength. As a physician assistant, she needs to have a constant work ethic even though she might not want to. If she is doing an operation, she can’t say I don’t want to operate on this person today. She can’t stop mid-procedure and leave someone on the operation table. She has to do her job and push through every single day because people depend on her. I try to mirror this work ethic in my life.

Inspired by my name and people around me. I got people's input on what they think of my name from activities in class.