Living Mechanically | Teen Ink

Living Mechanically

By Attici-magni GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Attici-magni GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Julius Ceasar

I remember the navy blue paint with sparkles embedded into the paint being so fresh that it looked like the car had just been painted from the factory. The grey rims that had been put onto the rigid frame had now been stained a volcanic black from all the hard braking over the years. The tan seats had been sat on so many times, that the leather had started to become weak and fold whenever there was a weight greater than fifty pounds. The leather was so dry, that it was cracking and peeling at the edges. The carpets were full of mold and had become hard on the tips. The original GM6758 Lt Gray carpet was now a mixture of all sorts of colors. The red stains were cherry slushies that had been spilled by the five-year-old sitting in the backseat with a weak grip due to the condensation. The dark red spots were from teenagers aggressively trying to put red dye onto their white strings in hopes that a perfect W would be shaped with their stencil. The grey seatbelts had little strings fluffed up away from the seat belt where the little kids had bitten and rubbed their heads against for just five more minutes of restless sleep. The back seats were used as a bed (if there was room) during long road trips across the country. I remember the tinted back window was full of an assortment of many different stickers that had been collected over the years. Stickers had been pulled from many different tournaments and states that had been traveled to or through, through the years. The faded black front bumper had a thin crack directly down the middle where it had made a minuscule collusion with a mound of ice and snow in a seven-eleven parking lot outside of Detroit. The driver, at the time, had pulled too far into the parking space which had made the micro bump into a gigantic headache for the owner. The tan steering wheel had become dark brown where the hands of the driver had been clutched for the longest time. The sweat and oil had leaked out from their hand onto this bare leather; the constant heat from various sunny places had made it possible for the hands to become abhorrently ingrained into the wheel. There was even a spot that had not been touched by these fluids, for the golden band of the wedding ring had prevented this from occurring. The slightest smell of movie popcorn was blowing through the busted air vent from when someone had spilled their popcorn all over the seat late one night after just finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- Part 2.

This piece hits me deeply because it was hard for me to relive all these precious memories that have since disappeared.