I Dread the Sound of the Intercom | Teen Ink

I Dread the Sound of the Intercom

February 5, 2021
By Anonymous

I’m sitting in fifth hour, and the intercom buzzes. I tense in my seat, and I am no longer sitting there at my desk. My mind has taken me back to three years ago when I sat at a desk just like this one, and I heard the same intercom go off. “Mrs. Smith, would you please send Anna to the guidance counselor for a moment?,” the woman says. Mrs. Smith looks at me and gestures to the door, so I start my journey towards the counselor’s office. This is the first time I’ve been called to the guidance counselor, and I think I know why. My palms are sweating, and I can hear my heart in my ears. When I finally arrive, I reach to knock on the door with shaking hands. When it opens, Mr. Morgan looks at me with a smile that I try my best to return. He says, “Anna! Come on in! It’s good to see you. How are you?” 

I answer politely with an “I’m fine, how are you?” This polite speech goes on for what seems like an hour -but in reality was about two minutes- until he finally gets to the point. 

“Now Anna, I’m sure you’re probably wondering why you’re here,” he says. I simply nod, too nervous to speak. He continues, “well unfortunately I’ve received a report from an anonymous student who told me you have been hurting yourself”. I think I stopped breathing when he said that. Of course I knew that’s why I’d been called up, it was only a matter of time, I just didn’t realize it would be this soon. 

“I’m not sure what you mean,” I said. I could tell he’d heard this answer before as he looked at me with a look of unbelief. He and I both knew that I was lying. 

“Anna,” he said, “this is nothing to be ashamed of, but someone told me you’ve been cutting yourself. This is very serious, so I just wanted to talk to you about it.” I felt my cheeks heat up, and tears fill my eyes. “I’ll need to see both of your wrists please”.

I rolled up my sweatshirt sleeves, and right there stood the half healed evidence. Perfectly straight red lines littered my arms. “I swear these are from my cat, she’s so mean,” I tried to save myself. 

He said, “Anna, you know I can’t believe that. No cat can make that many scratches and definitely not that straight”. 

And that is when my tears fell, and I knew my whole world was about to come crashing down. The breakfast I had eaten that morning was threatening to make an appearance on Mr. Morgan’s desk, and I was sure that wouldn’t gain me any favors from him. I begged him not to tell my parents. I told him I had stopped, these were old, I don’t do it anymore, but nothing I could say would change his mind.

He told me that this could be a growing experience for my parents and I. We could turn this negative into a positive. I stared blankly at the wall behind his head, and I nodded until he allowed me to go back to class. Just as I was leaving his office, the bell rang, and the halls were flooded with the bodies of junior high students. There I stood with puffy eyes and a tear stained face, when I made eye contact with the only other person who knew about my struggle, one of my best friends at the time, Kate. I ran to her, a sobbing mess yet again, and I said, “someone told. They told the counselor, and now he’s going to call my parents”. She knew right away what I was talking about, and she hugged me and offered to walk me to class. 

As the rest of the day went on, I felt my anxiety grow just thinking about going home and facing my parents. I thought about how disappointed they must be, and I wondered if they would tell me I was being dramatic or seeking attention. When I finally got home, though, the first person I saw was my father. He just stood there for a second after I walked through the door, and then he hugged me so tight, I almost couldn’t breathe. I felt my shoulders relax as I hugged him back. “Your mom and I want to talk to you about this,” he said, “but for now you can just take some time to yourself.” 

Eventually, I did have to talk to my parents about everything that had been going on, but it turned out alright. In the end, it did turn out to be a growing experience for all three of us. Not only did they understand, but they asked me what I needed, they asked me how they could help or if I needed to talk to someone. Yes, I still have bad days. I have relapsed in the past, and self harm will continue to be something that I struggle with, but now I know that I have a strong, steady support system. 

I still tense when the intercom buzzes, not because I think it will be me, but because it brings me back to a time in my life that took me so long to move past, a time that I still regret years and years later. I tense because I have moved on, and I hope to never move back.


The author's comments:

Suffering alone is no way to live. If you do struggle with any type of self harm or anything related, please get help. Do not go on suffering by yourself. There is help out there.