My Grandma | Teen Ink

My Grandma

By kya505 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois
kya505 BRONZE, Montgomery, Illinois

I gazed out at all the pumpkins, eyes glistening as a half toothless grin appeared. Amazed at all their different shapes and sizes I was in a state of shock for a second. Pumpkin patches were me and my grandma's favorite place to go in the Fall.

“Go on, pick whichever one you want” She motioned me towards the patch

I squirmed and wiggled in my chair as my grandma started to scrub the bottoms of my feet.

“Hurry I wanna go out and play everyone's outside” 

“After your pedicure sweetie it's almost over”

I laced up my shoes and ran outside almost certain that the fresh pedicure I just got was messed up.

Running around the playground was my favorite thing to do, especially playing with the big kids. I thought I could do what they did and sometimes it did not end well. My grandma always brought her a book to read because she knew I loved to play long, one day my play got cut short. I had ran and jumped off the rock wall just as one of the other kids did and it backfired. Upon landing my knee hit my mouth and I had busted my knee. 

“Are you okay?”, She called out looking up from her book.

My head hung low as I nodded yes with slight tears in my eyes. 

“Oh, you'll be okay baby, come on let's go get some ice cream.”

A perfect end to an almost perfect day.

I wrote this piece for my grandmother who was my best friend, educator and best advice giver I have ever known. I wrote this in the beginning of October and now only a month later she has passed. I just wanted to show all the things she did for me as I grew up and got older. I was with this women every weekend since I was 3 months old and not having her here with me just doesnt seem right o real.