Man's Best Friend | Teen Ink

Man's Best Friend

By Crum2006 BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
Crum2006 BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan

“Ding” was the noise that had changed my perspective of my dog. I got a text message from my mom saying “come up and play with the dog.” I was frightened because before I heard my dad was mowing the lawn and I didn’t know how my dog would react to the noise or if he would run in front of the mower. At that moment I was thinking I could ignore it or take that risk for my dog so I went upstairs. I walk up the stairs and look around for him but don’t see him I make a small creek on the stairs and he comes flying out of my mother’s bedroom with an excited look on his face. Then I grabbed my knife and pellets for my pellet gun but not the gun. I rarely grab the gun because the noise of the pellets shaking in my pocket keeps my dog neer and aware of my location but not all the time, you will learn to find out. 

I open the door and he squeezes through my legs to get outside and runs all over the place doing laps around my dad on the lawnmower like a shark and its prey. I shake my head and yell his name in an angry tone, “Ozzy let’s go bud!” he sees me and bolts into the open entrance of the woods going to the old abandoned two-track with knocked over trees on the path leaping over three to four fallen trees at a time. I go ahead and pick up the pace to make him run faster and there he is biting at my legs not to hurt or anything but just to annoy me.

Then all of a sudden he dashes away to a house near the edge of the woods luckily they had a fence so I wasn’t worried about him doing anything bad. He was just standing there with a piece of bark in his mouth and his dark eyes of pure excitement. He liked it in the woods with all the turns and leaves cracking in between each step. But for some reason, he was not the same he looked different more doglike almost wild I sprint off and hear each of his steps getting closer and closer until he is on my right side running into my legs making me hurdle over him. I roll and scratch my back on a stick that was pointed out of the ground tearing up my back. I get up and brush myself off then grab my dog yelling at him “Don’t do that ever again,” thinking that he will understand me. I pick him up very forcefully and carried him inside my house threw him into his cage with some water for five minutes. I take him out and he looks like he doesn’t even remember why I put him in there for the first place and then it clicks this is why dogs are man’s best friend. They don’t care like they were made for trial and error.