Cafe O'Lake | Teen Ink

Cafe O'Lake

By Abygael-Crimm14 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Abygael-Crimm14 BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

“Come on Aby and Jenna, let’s go to the lake! I heard the weather today is supposed to be perfect for swimming!” Gammy said, holding up her banana suntan oil and yellow straw hat.

Jenna grabbed her stool in front of the closet, searching for her towel. “Gammy, do you want us to bring our hats too? Because I think mine is in my luggage.”

“Of course, I do. Do you want your face to get burned? The hat will help you not get sunspots,” Gammy replied while putting on her suntan oil.

Jenna started laughing, “I guess not Gammy!”

All three of us went outside to the path in the forest, which led to the lake. Around the path, you could see little yellow daisies and mushrooms growing. Gammy was right, the weather was amazing! The wind blew in my hair and swayed the tall, green trees back and forth. As we went down the rocky path, I noticed little fairy figures on the trees. Each fairy was unique in their own way.

“Gammy! Jenna! Look, there is fairies in the trees. Don’t talk, you might scare them away!” I said, pointing to each tiny fairy I saw.

“Aby, you might scare them away by talking so loudly. Also, I think those are fake,” Jenna approached a light pink fairy with a lily pad hat.

“Do you have to ruin the fun? If I want to think they are real, then they are real!”

Jenna rolled her eyes and continued walking with Gammy, leaving me behind.

Once we got to the lake, you could see the sun glisten off the clear, blue lake. We put our towels and goggles on the old wooden dock and started to take off our cover ups.

“Girls, I have a surprise for you! So, we haven’t done this before, but I thought it would be fun to try,” Gammy said, grabbing shampoo and coffee grounds left over from the morning.

Jenna looked at Gammy curiously, putting up her hair into a high ponytail. “Uh Gammy, what is all that for? Why do you have coffee grounds?

“Well, we are going to put the coffee on ourselves and put the shampoo in our hair. Once we are done, we rinse off in the lake. After that, we should smell like coffee! Doesn’t that sound like fun?”

“That seems pretty cool, I want to go first!” I said, grabbing the shampoo and getting my hair wet to apply it.

Then, I heard the footsteps of my grandpa coming onto the rickety dock.

“Hello guys! What are you doing?”

“We are putting shampoo in our hair and coffee grounds on ourselves,” I ran over to my grandpa to give him a big hug.

My grandma continued to prepare the coffee grounds and put them in a bag so we could grab it easier. She even added some salt for some more of a different smell. Gammy mixed it all up and told us that it was ready.

“Okay so watch me do it and then you can do it.” Gammy grabbed a handful of the coffee grounds and rubbed them on her arm. Then, she got the shampoo and massaged it in her hair. “See how easy it is. All you have to do is grab a little bit of the coffee grounds and rub it on your body!”

Jenna and I grabbed a little bit of the coffee and started to put it on our faces. The smell of the coffee on our faces was amazing. Once we were done putting the coffee on ourselves, we started to put the shampoo in our hair. The shampoo smelt like the beach and it made our hair very bubbly and foamy.

“Hey guys, look at me!” Jenna said, as she started to form a Santa beard with all the foam.

I started to laugh, “You look very funny! I want to try now.” I began to form the beard just like Jenna, but only better.

“If you both are ready, you can jump off the dock and rub all of the shampoo and coffee off.” Gammy said, pointing to the end of the dock.

“Okay, Jenna want to jump in together?” I asked, holding out my hand for her to grab.

“Sure, but we jump on three. Ok?” She reached for my hand.

“On three, one, two, three!” Gammy clapped as she counted down for us.

Jenna and I jumped in with the biggest splash! The cool water felt so nice and we even managed to splash Gammy and Grandpa. I could feel the mushy rocks with my feet at the bottom of the lake. As we washed off the coffee and shampoo, Grandpa took pictures of us.

“Thank you Gammy and Grandpa. I love you so much!” I was so grateful to have grandparents full of excitement and surprises. Jenna and I continued our day at the lake and had the best day ever.