a birthday to remember | Teen Ink

a birthday to remember

October 23, 2020
By AudreyDurrieu- BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
AudreyDurrieu- BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A birthday to remember   
“1,2,3” Jump! Standing there on the top of a “45” foot boat, Addison grabbing my left hand and Brooke squeezing my right hand so tight it made my fingers fall asleep.  
Brooke looked at Addison and I with a sign of happiness. “Ok, it's just water it won't hurt right?”  
Addison leaned forward wobbling and looking into the clear turquoise ocean. “I don’t think it will”   
Carefully, Riley walked up the stairs to get to the level we were at and rolled her eyes sarcastically. “GO jump already, No looking back”  
I nodded my head and felt my stomach swirl and rise as I plunge into the ocean. I felt my hands tingle with relief. Swimming against the powerful current I maneuvered myself back on the freshly painted white boat.  
My mom walked over to where I was sitting. “I got some cool pictures you can post”  
 “Thanks mom, I will think about it.” Smiling I walked over to get a frozen strawberry drink that the crew members made. Thinking about the birthday surprise my mom was talking about, I spilled my drink on a white cushion. My heart drooped as fast as I got a paper towel, my mom is always saying I need to slow down.  
“Audrey, come look at these sea turtles.” 
 I quickly set my drink down and grabbed a pair of black googles sitting in this foaming soap. Swimming with the current I was there in less than 10 seconds. The turtles were green with marks on their shells. I watched them for a minute before one of them pooped and I found myself quickly swimming away. Looking down I saw fish and many sea urchins along the way back to the boat.  
“1,2,3 Jump” flying off the side of the boat I saw my brother and two of his friends jumping, they had no hesitation.  
Mrs. Tammy walking up the Stairs on the second level, “Lunch is ready.” 
Going down a scent of fresh seasoned mahi filled the air. The fruit was brightly colored and was very juicy. Grabbing a plate, I put fish tacos with lots of fruit. 
When I was done eating, one of the crew members Sarah gave me a tortilla “Throw it into the water, fish the size a meter stick will come.”  
As she said that, my eyes got big. “A meter sick?” 
 Nodding her head, I threw the tortilla in and watched it sink as the fish came up and took big bites off it. Going to go join my friends taking pictures on the second floor, I took a minute to look at the scenery. There were hills in the background that were coved with vibrant green leaves. Along with the contrast of the blue ocean, it looked like I was in a Bob Ross painting.  
“You want to jump off again?” Looking at Addison I smiled and nodded my head.  
This time I had no hesitation flipping through the Saint Paul Air. 
 Climbing into the boat, my friend Alexis looked at me. “Let's take pictures.” 
“Wait, we have a surprise for Audrey.”  
Filling up with excitement about this wonderful surprise that I had no clue about, I rushed down to the first level. Walking in to see this big beautiful set of vibrant colored flowers with a cake sitting beside it that said my name perfectly in a lilac purple. Smiling big, I walked over and sat down next to all my friends. I thought about how grateful I am to have my 13th birthday on the ocean with my amazing friends and a family. After eating a slice of cake, I walked over to see who gave me the flowers. Seeing a white card next to the flowers that wrote, "happy birthday to my wonderful granddaughter I love you the most”- Mema, Papa. 
 With big heavy tears filling up in my eyes, “I wish papa was here.”  
 I quickly wiped them away as Addison pulled my arm. “Audrey, come here, lets jump off one last time.” 
Jumping off the boat one last time, I would say that my 13th birthday was a one to remember.  


The author's comments:

This is important becuas ethis was the best birthday I have ever had