Dragon Fruit | Teen Ink

Dragon Fruit

By Janeythehuman BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
Janeythehuman BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

I woke up to a thud from under my bed,
“I HAVE A GIANT SPATUTULA AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO USE IT” I jumped out of bed with the long red spatula I nabbed from the kitchen the night before just in case, and because you never knew what was in my pod. I looked down at my phone which had fallen off the bed.
“oops…hehe I musta forgot to charge this bad boy last night.” I just wanted to stay awake, I mean like cmon I was already. I wanted to check the time even though it felt like 7o’ clock in the morning. I picked up my phone off the hard carpet floor and clicked the home button.

I screeched, “THEEEEEEE LIGHHHHHHHTTTTT!!!!!!!!!” I was acting like a vampire; I was just was so…overdramatic. I tossed my phone back over to the corner of stuffed animals so the screen would not break. I skipped across my room for the lamp. I jolted my hand up to tap the little censor that only worked if you tapped it three times. My light was on and was bright, I was used to it though, you know after the whole beam thingy from my phone screen. I had forgotten that my mom and dad had gone to work or something early that morning and Mike was at my Grandma’s for some reason I did really care enough to know. Oh, but little did they know I had a stupid idea and I was not afraid to use it. (hehe get it?) As you can tell from just this ten-minute time period I was a, how would you say... a strange kid. I was one of those people who thought of something either late in the night or early in the morning with an idea to do something uncalled for. Well this genius idea come to me around four in the morning, it was a little something I would like to call “the hour of ideas” or THOI short. It’s when all of the possible day plans come into mind.

My THOI for this day was not to terrible that my parents would ground me, but it was be bad enough that I might get asked “JANEY GRETA THORN WHAT DID YOU DO TO THIS BATHROOM”. I mean it is kinda normal for that to happen. I was always gonna mess one thing up with my THOIs. It was always the part about the asking for permission or some mess that “I attempted” to clean up. I sat on my bed, with my phone in hand and logged in. who should I call to help me go through with my idea? I wondered to myself. Hm… Gabbie? No, she is out of town. I began going through my contacts. I finally decided on calling my friend Megan. She was one m my newer friends and I was trying to become closer with her. I went to setting in contacts and put a request to call her. I was surprised when I saw she had picked up immediately.
“Hey Janey! Do you need anything?” Megan picked up the phone to face it to herself.
“Yeah Meg I am very lonely right now so…” I started heading to the bathroom. When I got there, I realized I didn’t have the supplies I needed.
“Meg? I will be right back! I have to go get something. ” I yelled I as I sped down the stairs. before I jumped the last step. It felt good to do something that would make me feel and look better. I ran my way around my house stopping at my Mom and Dad’s bedroom. I went all mission impossible even though nobody was home.
I completely lost it after I started singing the song “dud duh duh nuh duh uh uh ba na na!”  I made my way into the bathroom, I looked at myself in the long blue and green mirror. Wow, I am really doing this. I touched my golden-brown hair that had a few streaks of blue, purples and pinks from the last time I dyed my hair. I bent down as I reached for the Berry Blast hair coloring kit. This brand was called ‘splat’ for me and my mom, it was the most trusted dye we knew of, so this is what we had left over from a sleepover party a year or less ago. I took out the magenta bottle and put the bleach and the bleach powder back into the box. I shook the dark pink liquid until the dyes and chemicals came to be one liquid. I ran up the stairs like I was running a marathon. I made sure not to trip on the top step because I had a tendency to be clumsy when I am doing something important. I did not trip or damage anything, so I was good.

“I am backkkkk!” I yelled as I went back into the bathroom.
“so, can you tell me now what we are doing?” Megan questioned.
“Well I am bored so I am going to do something that will make me not bored” I pulled out a very sharp pair of scissors, I took the top of the dye bottle. It took me a couple of seconds to undo the tight seal of the knob on top of the bottle. I finally got it.
“GIRL?! are you serious?!” Megan adjusted her camera
“yes, siry bob” I blew some air into my gloves like a balloon. I had put on an old shirt from a summer camp, so I was all set! I slid my sweaty hands into the puffed-up gloves, the bottle was sitting on the countertop with some hair clips and a hair tie. It came time for the moment Meg, and I were waiting for! The time, once again I was doing something crazy. The bottle made a strange squelching sound when I squeezed out the dye onto the gloves. It was very cold a yet gave me a tingling sensation! I just thing the tingling sensation was from the excitement. I carefully smoothed the dye into my hair.
“Janey, don’t forget to massage the dye into your hair so all of your hair gets dyed, you don’t want to end up have pink hair with blonde streaks!” Megan sung

“I know I know Meg,” I massaged my hair until the dye seemed to be in all of the part, I had wanted it to be. I soon became an expert at this whole dye then massage pattern! By the time I had completely mastered the pattern I had already done all of my hair, I looked down at the bottle of dye. It was empty thank goodness I just wanted to throw it away after I was done washing my hair out. I picked up my phone from the counter near the sink. I turned on the timer for one hour.
I let Megan know that I was gonna hang us so I could so some laying around/ watch tv. “Bye Meg! I will cya after I finish with this process.”

“Oh Okay! Bye bye Janey I hope your hair comes out great!” she chimed. The bottle was standing up right thank goodness. I covered my hair in a plastic bag that I have kept in my bathroom for a long time. I put it around my head like a turban. Now there is no way I can get dye on anything whatsoever. My iPad was in my room, so I went over to where it was charging, I unplugged it and put on a movie. I chose Smurts 2. I was a very impatient person, one hour felt like an entire day. I kept on checking the time and checking how much time was left on the movie. I want to fast forward to the time when the timer buzzes. My phone was a chirping noise for that means that the timer is done. I ran to the bathroom and undid the bag. No doubt my hair was pink, it was like a dragon fruit on my head! I went to go and turn on the sink, wait a second…I should probably do it in the shower. I turned around and put the shower on, I needed to wait for it to become chilled. It only took a few minutes for the water to become like a room temperate glass of water. I stuck my strawberry locks under the cool water. Pink splattered everywhere! I did not care, I was gonna clean up. I washed my hair at least 3 times before the water ran clear. As soon as I got out of the shower, I took the teal towel in my arms. I slowly and carefully wrapped my dangling pink hair into a bun. I waited twenty minutes for my hair to complete drying, when I could tell that my hair my dry, I took it out of the messy bun. I looked in the mirror, in awe of what my hair had become. I used a brush to take out the tangles, once fully unknotted it looked like I was from a fairytale! It was as if I had just come of a movie about magical beings! I was so happy! I hurried over to my bedroom closet to get out my Sailor Moon beanie which had a purple cat face on it. I had just gotten the hat for Christmas from my Mom. I tucked my hair gingerly into the beanie. I was satisfied with my look. This had all I had wanted. All I have honestly ever wanted. I love to look out at the world and see the many different styles each and every person possess. For I love to have bright colorful hair that makes people wonder why her mother would let her do that. My mom supports it, as long as it is not making me unfocused on my studies.

I am just a girl who loves to alter my look with hair dye. Dying my hair makes me feel good and happy! This is one of the times i dyed my hair.